Information for newport Users
Guido Günther24 February 2003
This is an unaccelerated driver for the SGI newport cards (a.k.a. XL) as found
in the SGI Indy and Indigo2. Both the 8bit and 24bit versions are tested and
- Support for 8 and 24 bit pixel depths
- Hardware cursor support to reduce flicker
- X -configure does not generate a xorg.conf file.
- There's only a 1280x1024 mode.
The driver auto-detects all device information necessary to
initialize the card on the Indy. The only lines you need in the "Device"
section of your xorg.conf file are:
Identifier "SGI newport"
Indigo2 users have to use the BusID option as documented below.
However, if you have problems with auto-detection, you can specify:
- bitplanes - number of physical bitplanes (8 or 24)
- HWCursor - enable or disable hardware cursor
- BusID - set this to "1" on the Indigo2 XL
- Guido Guenther
- Gleb O. Raiko
for getting the beast to build
- Ralf Baechle
for his patience...
- Ulf Carlsson
for comments and elf loader code
- Nina A. Podolskaya
for elf loader code
- all the guys who wrote the newport_con linux kernel code