Date is 2010-03-30, times are UTC+02.

22:59 <alanc> good afternoon/evening
23:00 <+agd5f> hey alanc
23:00 <+agd5f> motion to change the bod meetings to freenode?
23:00 <+mherrb> hi
23:01 <alanc> maybe once bart or keithp are around we can ask why oftc
23:01 <+keithp> agd5f: oftc and freenode are fairly equivalent?
23:02 <+agd5f> keithp: yeah.  just another server to log into for one thing.  and considering all the other xorg stuff is on freenode...
23:03 <+keithp> agd5f: we've got the channel all configured here; moving would be a bit of work
23:03  * keithp ends up on five irc networks...
23:08 <+agd5f> no biggie.  mostly just curious as to why it was on oftc
23:08 <+mherrb> user certificate auth is nice here. dunno if freenode provides this.
23:09 -!- Bart_Massey [] has joined #xf-bod
23:09 <alanc> so we're just short anholt and bart?
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> Apologies for my lateness; got sidetracked
23:09 <libv> if emmes didn't excuse himself, i can give him a quick call
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> Did I miss anything important?
23:11 <alanc> Bart_Massey: not yet, just a question about why oftc when the other Xorg channels are on freenode
23:11 <libv> did emmes excuse himself?
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: What was the answer? :-)
23:11 <alanc> libv: I did not see one
23:11 <libv> ok, calling, he's undoubtedly behind his pc anyway
23:11 <alanc> "Ask Bart, maybe he remembers"
23:12 <+Bart_Massey> :-)
23:12 <+Bart_Massey> I didn't set it up; my vague recollection is just that we were concerned about the reliability and privacy of freenode, and th
ought oftc might do better.
23:12 <alanc> I tried sending out minutes & agenda to board & members mailing list yesterday, but never saw it go through - but my mail is a bit we
ird given the transition right now
23:13 <libv> hrm, he's not answering his cell... well, i am not going to go over and throw a brick through his window.
23:13 <+Bart_Massey> Haven't seen it, but my email often gets delayed substantially.  Wouldn't think moving a little text over the Internets would
be that hard, but apparently it's awful difficult. :-)
23:13 <alanc> (my mail server was deactivated over the weekend and all my mail is forwarded to the server now, so I'm working th
rough updating mailing list subscriptions & such to avoid getting caught in moderation)
23:13 <+mherrb> I didn't receive anything from you.
23:14 <alanc> I didn't see it in the members archives either
23:14 <alanc> oh well - it basically said today was meeting day, but I didn't have anything specific for the agenda
23:14 <+Bart_Massey> I've got a couple of items.
23:15 <alanc> I think the official GSoC acceptance notice came after last Board meeting - we're in, developers who can help mentor should contact m
archeu, students should read the wiki page on applications & ideas
23:15 <alanc> okay Bart, you have the floor...
23:15 <+Bart_Massey> I've been working with a new volunteer named Matt Dew who's been really helpful looking into a couple of long-standing issues
23:16 <alanc> oh, and the summary of last meeting is posted to
23:16 <+Bart_Massey> First, it looks like it will be something like $750 to register the name X.Org as a US Trademark.  I would recommend that we d
o this, just to prevent some idiot doing it instead and us having to deal with it.  But it's a lot of money.
23:16 -!- stukreit [~skk@brm-ea-fw-nat.Sun.COM] has joined #xf-bod
23:17 -!- dberkholz|mob [~dberkholz@] has joined #xf-bod
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> Thoughts?
23:18 <alanc> $750 doesn't sound that huge - 1/4 of what we approved last time for one person to go to XDS2010
23:18 <dberkholz|mob> Sorry I'm late
23:18 <+agd5f> seems fine to me.  I figured it would be more than that
23:18 <alanc> presumably the $750 is one time, not annual, right?
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> So Matt isn't willing to do the application---it must be done online.  We may want to get an attorney to do it.
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: Yes, one-time fee.
23:19 <alanc> is that something SLFC would help with?
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> I would think so.
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> You should ask them; they will want to talk to you anyhow, as the new Secretary.
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> I ratted you out and told them you were the new legal contact recently. :-)
23:19  * alanc writes a note to get the SLFC contact information from Bart...
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> Just drop me some email and I'll reply with the right contact.
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> Second, Matt looked into getting our domain name technical and admin contacts reassigned.
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> He's sent a bunch of email to Internic with little luck.
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> Right now he's waiting for a response from Leon Shiman, the current tech / admin contact.
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> If he doesn't get one soon, someone on the Board is probably going to have to step in.
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> Internic wants all kinds of hard-to-get stuff, such as "previous and current month's utility bill with org name on it" :-)
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> Anybody want to work with Matt on this?
23:22 <alanc> "We don't pay for power, we just siphon it from MIT & PSU"
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: indeed :-)
23:23 <+keithp> We do have bills from MIT
23:23 <+keithp> lots of those :-)
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: They might be sufficient.  I don't know. :-)
23:23 <+agd5f> I can work on it
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> agd5f: Thanks huge.
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> Third, Matt has been poking at the amorphous issue of librarianing X documents.
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> He (and I) would like to see a central, managed document repo of some kind in the X.Org space (beyond the fine wiki).
23:24 <alanc> always a huge task
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: Indeed.  Anyone have thoughts or suggestions that might be helpful?
23:25 <dberkholz|mob> What are the requirement?
23:25 <alanc> I know the job I did on the 7.5 release docs was incomplete, but it was more than we'd done since 7.2 or so - we've got way too many
different formats of specification documents
23:26 <+Bart_Massey> We have a lot of formats, and a lot of documents aren't really exactly officially X.Org, or are not stashed with the X.Org stu
23:26 <alanc> and making the top-level index for them was mostly manual
23:26 <+Bart_Massey> The thing that brought this up was the Gettys "deprecation" document, which is why Matt contacted me in the first place.
23:26 <alanc> I did see someone started wikifying that one
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> Which is good.  I guess one question is whether the long term strategy should be to get everything onto the wiki?
23:27 <+agd5f> is the wiki backed up?
23:27 <+mherrb> spec documents cannot get wikified, unless you mark them readonly
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> As well as anything is, I think. :-(
23:28 <+mherrb> but then you've problems to update them again.
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> mherrb: If they are available from a well-known place, an abstract and link on the wiki should be sufficient, I think.
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> agd5f: As well backed-up as anything, I think.  We should check that the backups are working right now by asking for a restore
23:28 <+mherrb> yes the wiki is useful to create the indexes for documents stored elsewhere.
23:29 <+mherrb> if there are not too many of this I think it's enough.
23:29 <+mherrb> otherwise a more sophisticated software may be needed.
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> Someone should bug someone at sitewranglers to work with the PSU CAT on checking the bakcup state.
23:29 <alanc> job for tollef?
23:30 <+keithp> I haven't heard anything for a while; I should see if things are OK
23:30 <+keithp> alanc: I should probably introduce them
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> Fourth, we've talked a little about doing some kind of alternative to EVoC for non-students.
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> Basically a volunteer mentoring thing, unpaid, in the style of the stuff the Linux kernel does sometimes.
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> Anybody got any thoughts on that?
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> The idea, of course, is to try to help some developers over the horrible awful X learning curve...
23:35 <dberkholz|mob> essentially pairing new contributors with mentors? Don't think it needs to be very formal, but a good idea
23:35 <+mherrb> do we have volunteers for this?
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> Fifth, I've talked with Matt about coming to XDS.  It's not clear he's available, but I'm assuming we could help with travel i
f he did.
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> Yes, lining up volunteers would be the key.  Only needs to be formal to the extent that there's a well-defined way for people
to get started / paired up.
23:36 <+Bart_Massey> I think Matt could give a "getting started with X.Org" talk that would be +1 insightful.
23:36 <+mherrb> I got a request from someone needing help last friday. his company is even willing to pay consultancy fees
23:36 <+mherrb> but I didn't really know who to forward the request to.
23:37 <+mherrb> Some of you got it...
23:39 <+Bart_Massey> So I think that's my stuff.  I yield the floor. :-)
23:41 <alanc> anyone have anything else, or are we ready to call it a day?
23:42 <+Bart_Massey> I'm good
23:42 <+mherrb> nothing else here.
23:42 <dberkholz|mob> nope
23:42 <+agd5f> nothing here
23:43 <alanc> okay, I move to adjourn
23:43 <+Bart_Massey> seconded
23:43 <alanc> see you in two weeks