Date is 2010-04-27, times are UTC+02.

23:00 <alanc> good afternoon
23:00 <+Bart_Massey> Greetings!
23:00 <alanc> sorry for not sending out a reminder this week
23:01 <+emmes_> np
23:01 <+Bart_Massey> np; calendars work
23:02 <+dberkholz> hi
23:02 <alanc> heh - my phone, oracle & google calendars have now all beeped at me to remind me it's meeting time - 3 reminders is usually enough to get my attention, but not always...
23:03 <agd5f> my google calender only reminds me when it feels like it...
23:04 <+Bart_Massey> calendar is not google's finest hour.  what's the agenda for today?
23:04 <alanc> umm, I didn't have much - hopefully by now everyone saw marcheu's announcement of our 5 Summer of Code students 
23:04 <+Bart_Massey> great news.  i'm sure they'll all do well.
23:05 <agd5f> yeah, it's a good set of projects I think
23:05 <+dberkholz> everything worked out pretty well there. i think that's about as many that were really good
23:05 <alanc> and as I just did on #xorg-devel, hopefully you all will be reminding any students who didn't make Google's cut but you think still have good proposals about
23:06 <+emmes> any news from the students so far already? except for the one that contacted xorg in advance?
23:06 <alanc> (I didn't see the other proposals this year, so don't know about the ones that weren't selected)
23:06 <+dberkholz> the others would probably need to spend some time reworking their proposals to be good enough
23:07 <+emmes> a few were pretty bad, but the 5 students selected were all well above par.
23:07 <+dberkholz> i haven't really checked to see whether they're all posting to the mailing lists yet
23:08 <alanc> I certainly recognized Matt Turner's name from many xorg-devel patch threads already
23:08 <agd5f> and tom has been asking a lot of questions as well
23:08 <+emmes> right
23:08 <marcheu> emmes: I'm not sure about all of them, I plan to touch base with them when google publishes their email addresses...
23:08 <marcheu> or through their mentors
23:09 <alanc> though it seems not all of the projects are in the typical xorg-devel coverage, but dri-devel or mesa-dev instead
23:09 <+emmes> marcheu: thanks a lot for your work there!
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> indeed!
23:09 <alanc> oh, and xcb of course
23:09 <marcheu> sure np
23:09 <alanc> yes, thanks much marcheu 
23:09 <marcheu> alanc: yes there is a serious mesa/dri bias this year indeed
23:09 <+emmes> ;)
23:10 <+dberkholz> marcheu: all of them have posted to the xorg lists except igor, who's already got repos on fd.o
23:10 <marcheu> we had 7 proposals on mesa/dri out of 10
23:10 <+dberkholz> so we should definitely be able to contact them at any point
23:11 <marcheu> dberkholz: yes, but I still want to touch base to make sure mentor/students connexions exist :)
23:11 <alanc> which is fine - the layers of our stack are certainly well-intermingled, and since Google prefers dealing with one umbrella organization over having to deal with separate entries from X.Org proper, Mesa, DRI, & XCB, anything that helps them help us seems like a win
23:11 <marcheu> connections even
23:11 <+dberkholz> marcheu: sure. my points were that 1) we have their email addresses, because they're on the lists; and 2) they're already participating in the community to some extent
23:12 <marcheu> yes, personnally that's why I ranked these guys higher...
23:13 <+dberkholz> anything else gsoc-related we need to talk about?
23:14 <+emmes> marcheu: given the experience with my last student this is *the* most important attribute :-/
23:14 <alanc> it's a bit soon now, but mentors should remember that we'd pay for successful GSoC students to come join us in Toulouse in September to present on how they spent their Summer of Code
23:15 <alanc> which also reminds me I saw mherrb added hotel information to the XDS wiki page
23:15 <+dberkholz> probably means they should start applying for passports about the time the summer starts.
23:15 <marcheu> alanc: should we mention this to students already?
23:15 <marcheu> i.e. is that a firm commitment
23:16 <alanc> we've traditionally done it, but I don't think it's a firm commitment until we get and vote on each individual request
23:16 <marcheu> right
23:16 <marcheu> let me know when you can say for sure :)
23:16 <+Bart_Massey> we have a firm commitment to consider their request :-)
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> as dberkholz said, they might want to do some preliminary planning now
23:17 <marcheu> okay I will use maybes
23:17 <+dberkholz> if they want to come, have them put in a funding request to the board, and we can vote on it pretty much anytime
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> I'd suggest not until after midterms
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> We want to see that they'll have something to contribute
23:18 <marcheu> yes I agree here
23:18 <+dberkholz> sure, that's reasonable
23:19 <+dberkholz> marcheu: all of them will get accounts on fd.o to put up personal repos, right?
23:19 <marcheu> dberkholz: yeah I'll ask that + blog on planet.fd.o
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> Cool.  We good for today?
23:20 <alanc> they should just have to file the account request bug, and their mentors should be able to give the required +1 from an existing project member
23:20 <alanc> I've got nothing else - does anyone else?
23:20 <marcheu> alanc: well with git they can have personal repos even, they don't need project access
23:20 <alanc> (btw, thanks to Tollef for getting mail unstuck)
23:21 <alanc> marcheu: right, but I thought to even get an account they had to have an existing project member vouch for them
23:21 <marcheu> ah. I suppose they can be all nouveau devs if need be :p
23:21 <agd5f> update on the domain stuff.  no response yet from leon or karen.  that's it
23:21 <alanc> though we could just tell sitewranglers that we pre-approve accounts for anyone on the SoC list, though maybe not write access to any repos
23:22 <alanc> to any master/non-personal repos that is
23:22 <marcheu> alanc: that's the default situation, when you're not in any group. doesn't sound like an issue to me
23:29 <alanc> I think we're adjuourned for the day - thanks for coming all