Date is 2010-07-20, times are UTC+02.
22:59 <alanc> good afternoon 23:00 <alanc> hopefully people's calendars reminded them of the meeting since I failed to 23:00 <+mherrb> I'm there. Hi. 23:00 <+emmes> heho. 23:01 <agd5f> hello 23:02 <dberkholz|mob> Hi 23:02 <+anholt> hi 23:02 <agd5f> thanks everyone for getting me your bios and addresses. 23:04 <+emmes> np. thanks for compiling everything into the documents for the transition. 23:04 <alanc> so you're making progress on the 501(c)3 stuff with Karen? 23:04 <agd5f> the 1023 is just about done. Karen sent me a draft on Friday. She's at OSCON this week, but we are meeting again next week to finish it 23:05 <agd5f> the delaware franchise this is also done, I just need to clarify one last thing and find out where to send the check 23:06 <dberkholz|mob> very cool 23:07 <agd5f> and finally, I think we may owe a lot of back taxes on the old xorg llc. SLFC is looking into it 23:08 <alanc> ouch 23:09 <agd5f> that's about it on my end 23:10 <+mherrb> about xds. any news wrt sponsors? 23:10 <agd5f> mherrb: I'm waiting to hear back 23:11 <alanc> I need to poke now that the people I need to ask are back from vacation 23:11 <+mherrb> And if there are no sponsors, should we cancel the social event, ask participants to pay, or have the foundation pay for it? 23:11 <+emmes> no chance from our side, at least ATM. This might have to be discussed in higher places, though. 23:12 <+emmes> i wouldn 23:12 <+emmes> i wouldn't cancel it. how much are we talking about? 23:13 <+mherrb> about EUR 1500 for 50 persons. 23:13 <+mherrb> but currently only 33 registrations (including 19 'tentatives') 23:13 <alanc> we should ask SFLC if there's any restrictions we have to be careful about on paying for stuff like that once we get 501(3)c status 23:13 <+mherrb> so it may be less. 23:13 <+emmes> maybe we should think supporting students or others who cannot afford it. but the exact qualifications would remain fuzzy. which isn't good. 23:14 <agd5f> keithp: btw, one last thing on the 1023, for the financial stuff let me know if you want to schedule a call with Karen. Stuart wasn't sure what he needed to provide when I talked to him last. 23:14 <agd5f> Karen can probably walk you through it 23:14 <dberkholz|mob> can just trust people to be honest about needing help... 23:16 <keithp> agd5f: yeah, I should have time this week and next to get to that 23:16 <agd5f> BTW, don't tell people their donations are tax deductible yet until we are a 501c3. I changed the verbiage on the wiki already 23:16 <alanc> donations? people make those? 23:16 <agd5f> alanc: not that I know of, but we were saying they were on the wiki 23:16 <+emmes> dberkholz|mob: for amounts like this it's probably ok. i would have headaches if it's about larger sums, but we're already sponsoring travel. so it seems ok. 23:21 <alanc> so is there anything else to discuss? you should have seen in e-mail my progress on the license investigations, and it sounded like we all agreed in e-mail to support jg's request for space to store the old Consortium archives 23:23 <agd5f> yes, I think we should provide the space for jg, backed up if possible 23:23 <+anholt> I assume expo is backed up? 23:23 <+mherrb> agreed 23:23 <+emmes> I think backup is a must for these data. 23:23 <alanc> not sure if it is backed up 23:23 <agd5f> I would guess not 23:24 <+anholt> I see ~jg/Archive/ on it, 500MB, looks like he got started. 23:24 <alanc> is mithrandir admin'ing expo now as well as the fd.o machines? Would he know the backup status? 23:24 <+anholt> pinging 23:25 <alanc> I know he's helped with the x.org mailing lists, but not sure if that's all on expo or fd.o 23:25 <agd5f> John Jendro said it wasn't on his list 23:26 <+anholt> says he's admin, thinks it's backed up, and keithp would have restore-fu. 23:26 <keithp> news to me 23:27 <+emmes> that sounds a bit... too scary for me. 23:28 <+mherrb> if possible get details on the procedure, and try to restore something... 23:28 <alanc> yeah, it's not on the PSU list since it's at MIT 23:29 <alanc> it sounded like we could pay MIT to back it up, which would be a reasonable use of our funds 23:29 * dberkholz|mob agreed 23:30 <agd5f> agreed 23:30 <+mherrb> +1 23:30 <+emmes> +1 23:31 <+emmes> assuming that backup at MIT is not unreasonably expensive 23:31 <alanc> do we have anyone who is still in contact with MIT folks for the hosting? I assume someone like Leon originally set that up 23:32 <alanc> or do we just volunteer ajax since he's closest, even though he's not on the board anymore? 23:33 <+mherrb> didn't ajax have physical access there? 23:34 <alanc> I thought so 23:34 <agd5f> does anyone know the deal with MIT? Do we pay them for ping, power, and pipe? 23:35 <alanc> keithp should know if we've been sending them checks 23:35 <keithp> yes, we pay them every year 23:35 <keithp> quite a bit too, $2500 iirc 23:37 <+mherrb> hopefully there are invoices somewhere, with some details. Who has them? 23:39 <agd5f> maybe ajax knows someone there who knows about the services offered 23:39 <keithp> I have the invoices and have paid the checks 23:39 <keithp> just not right at hand 23:39 <alanc> do the invoices mention backup services? 23:39 <keithp> no 23:39 <keithp> just space, power and bandwidth 23:42 <alanc> so does someone want to volunteer for the AI to chase this down and find out what it takes/costs to get backups done if they're not being done? 23:44 <agd5f> I'll do it if someone can provide with a contact of some sort 23:46 <+mherrb> "someone" should be keithp or ajax no? 23:47 <agd5f> yeah, unless someone else knows 23:47 <keithp> One fears what it will cost though; we're paying a mint for rack space 23:48 <agd5f> we could ask if the rates have dropped as well 23:48 <agd5f> renegotiate our contract 23:48 <alanc> or if it's still worth maintaining two sites - I understand historical ties to MIT, but we've really not utilized that well 23:49 <agd5f> consolidating to pdx is fine with me 23:50 <keithp> alanc: the issue is that the machines at MIT were not donated to X.org, but rather to MIT 23:50 <keithp> although, I expect we could ask for them back and expect to receive them 23:51 <alanc> at this point, I doubt they have much value to anyone - all the machines there are 5-6 years old now aren't they? 23:52 <keithp> indeed 23:52 <keithp> I'm working to replace a similar aged stack at PSU 23:53 <+emmes> i think having a single site is ok nowadays. with git there is not a chance of catastrophic data loss. except for the wiki, i guess. 23:53 <alanc> for software distribution we have more than enough mirrors run by other people 23:54 <agd5f> or copy the data to fdo and let MIT have them. less machines to maintain 23:55 <alanc> I don't think we're doing any actual replication between the PSU & MIT machines - more of running different services with different account sets 23:56 <+emmes> then it's actually worse to have two sites - increases the number of single points of failure. 23:59 <+mherrb> so back to original point, have fd.o machines enough space to host jg's data? [...] 2 security related comments deleted 00:01 <alanc> ... 00:04 <+mherrb> ... 00:05 <alanc> I don't think we need to worry about exact implementation now, and we've gone past our hour 00:05 <alanc> shall we think about this some more and discuss further in two weeks? 00:07 <+mherrb> sounds reasonable, since we miss some precise information to conclude now. 00:07 <agd5f> sounds good 00:07 <+emmes> as this is important that's a good idea. 00:07 <alanc> anything else for today, or shall we adjourn? 00:07 <+emmes> adjourn, from my side 00:07 <agd5f> +1 00:07 <+mherrb> +1 00:09 <alanc> thanks for coming all - I'll try to send out minutes sooner this time to remind us about this tabled topic