Date is 2010-10-25, times are UTC+02

23:07 <alanc> so I didn't have a whole lot for today's agenda - I mailed out about the google winter program for high school kids, and there's the usual status updates on 501(c)3 & election committee
23:07 <alanc> did anyone have thoughts on the Google Code-In?   desire to volunteer to organize us for it?
23:08 <+emmes> I'd also like to ask whether anybody has reviewed Michael's proposal for XDC 2011
23:08 <+Bart_Massey> Code-In?
23:08 <+emmes> SoC in small ;-)
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> Haven't seen it yet.  Michael? Where?
23:09 <alanc> Bart_Massey: Google's "junior summer of code" program for 13-18 year olds running November-January
23:09 <alanc> instead of 3-month long projects, they do a bunch of short tasks, like write a man page or fix a bug
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> Huge thanks to Stephane for running GSoC 2010.  Very nice job.
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> Right, this is the former ghop
23:10 <+emmes> "fix a bug" is probably too hefty in Xorg for most bugs that are still open...
23:10 <dberkholz|mob> They can be different difficulty levels...
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> "write a test" would be nice
23:10 <alanc> is the mail I sent to board & members last night with links
23:11 <agd5f> it seems like a good idea, but I won't have time to run it.  I'm happy to help mentor though
23:11 <alanc> there's probably some easy bugs in the client side that students could fix - certainly a lot of the deep server bugs would be too hard
23:11 <dberkholz|mob> I could run it if others could come up with tasks and mentor
23:12 <alanc> I can help come up with some tasks
23:12 <alanc> I think Friday is the deadline to apply to google though
23:13 <+emmes> i would help mentoring, but ATM I don't have many ideas about tasks. Though I'll be nowhere near any computer for nov 30 to dec 14.
23:13 <dberkholz|mob> Yep
23:14 <dberkholz|mob> I don't have the dates handy...
23:14 <+Bart_Massey> Sorry
23:14 <alanc> I would think mentoring for this is different than summer of code, since it'
23:14 <alanc> s not a single project the whole time
23:15 <agd5f> I have a few ideas that wouldn't be too hard
23:15 <alanc> and given the holidays at that time of year, we'd probably want people who are around at different times - I can help with that too
23:15 <agd5f> exposing kms connector attributes via sysfs
23:15 <agd5f> not exactly xorg though
23:15 <+emmes> +1 +1
23:16 <alanc> we've always considered Mesa, DRI & xcb to be part of the X.Org family for Summer of Code
23:16 <+emmes> i guess drm related stuff is xorg-ish enough to be supported
23:16 <alanc> Google prefers a larger umbrella project over having 4 different organizations to manage
23:18 <alanc> so it sounds like we're generally agreed it's a good thing to do, and dberkholz will submit our application for it
23:18 <alanc> should we submit project ideas to the thread I sent to xorg-devel?
23:19 <agd5f> maybe a wiki page and email out the wiki link
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> ...\
23:21 <alanc> I can start a wiki page and send it out
23:22 <agd5f> alanc: thanks!
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> I'd like to do a Book Sprint before XDC 2011 to produce an X.Org New Developer Guide.
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> It would probably require a bit of funding from X.Org, and definitely participation from some clueful people.
23:23 <alanc> before as in same place, just the previous days?
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> Yes
23:23 <dberkholz|mob> sounds great to me
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> 2 or 3 days
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> depending on how much time people can spare
23:24 <agd5f> Bart_Massey: sounds like a good idea
23:24 <alanc> yeah, sounds good to me too
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> 7 of us wrote 18K words at Google last week in two 8-hour days.
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> So it seems to scale pretty well once you get the hang of it. :-)
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> Cool.  We'll plan on it, and I'll announce it once we have XDC 2011 nailed down.
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> Elections?
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> ping?
23:28 <agd5f> I guess we gotta get them nailed down
23:28 <alanc> the wiki is up and running now, and anholt mailed out the task list as well
23:28 <agd5f> the elections that is
23:28 <agd5f> How do we want to break up the tasks?
23:29 <alanc> figuring out the schedule would be good to plan around the holidays
23:30 <+Bart_Massey> Any other business?
23:30 <+emmes> I noted that I apparently don't have access to the bod wiki - Eric has the necessary information in the meantime.
23:31 <+emmes> Thanks to him for kicking us in the right direction :-)
23:31 <agd5f> I'll send out an initial break down to those of us on the election committee and we we can discuss and divide tasks
23:31 <alanc> any update on 501(c)3?
23:31 <agd5f> alanc: still waiting on feedback from stuart
23:32 <alanc> and emmes raised the issue of the XDC 2011 proposal Michael Larabel mailed the board right after XDS2010, which probably no one read since it was a glossy pdf thingy
23:32 <alanc> 
23:33 <+emmes> it looks actually pretty solid.
23:33 <+emmes> to me, that is.
23:34 <+emmes> question is whether we want the press organize our main event.
23:34 <+Bart_Massey> I think we'd need a concrete date and venue before we could really answer, but I think it looks promising enough.
23:34 <+emmes> as long as it's clear that Phoronix doesn't have any exlusitivity rights (not that other press organs ever showed much interest) I wouldn't have any issues with that, though.
23:34 <+Bart_Massey> Basically "organize" here means make sure that space is available
23:35 <+emmes> right.
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> We get full control over who we invite and accept, what content we have, etc
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> (We learned that lesson in Ottawa a few years back. :-)
23:35 <+emmes> you gotta tell me over a beer some day ;)
23:36 <+Bart_Massey> Definitely :-0
23:36 <alanc> it also misses part of the point of tiago's proposal, which was the timing to coincide with the Mobile Linux conference there - both for increasing participation from people who would go to one or the other, but not make two trips, and to reduce the costs for people who would go to both
23:36 <+Bart_Massey> I've heard...erm...rumors that Tiago's proposal is not a going concern any longer?
23:36 <agd5f> true.  Plus, IMHO, a XDC in south america would be cool
23:37 <alanc> (not that I know how many people other than Tiago & his compatriots in Nokia would be going to both)
23:37 <+emmes> still I'm not confident that Tiago will manage the conference too well. He didn't even made it to his own talk :-/
23:37 <+emmes> i agree that it would be cool, though. for europeans the travel cost isn't vastly different anyway.
23:38 <alanc> organizing a conference on another continent can't be an easy task
23:38 <+emmes> so as always - we have pros and cons
23:38 <alanc> though I think he said he could get help from Nokia local people in Brazil
23:38 <+Bart_Massey> I'm good with whatever folks want to do. I'm kind of thinking Keithp should be part of the conversation; he has a lot of experience doing this kind of thing.
23:39 <+keithp> what's that?
23:39 <+emmes> I just suggest that we all at least check the pdf from Michael, after he has already put some efforts in it. It's an easy read anyway.
23:39 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: Chicago or Brazil or other for XDC 2011?
23:39 <+keithp> Unless we've got more feet on the ground than tiago, I'd say brazil is not a great plan
23:39 <+Bart_Massey> I just read Michael's proposal.  He obviously put a lot of work into it.
23:39 <agd5f> I'm happy where ever we end up as long as someone wants to put in the organizing effort
23:40 <+keithp> weird having Michael organize our event, but frankly, better him than me
23:40 <+keithp> he's definitely contributing to with all of his press coverage
23:40 <+Bart_Massey> I think Michael's title would be "local arrangements chair", which is pretty standard for conference organizing
23:40 <+emmes> Bart_Massey: He told me that it wasn't too bad. He wrote it in one of the XDS nights. Apparently he's pretty good at wording...
23:41 <+emmes> keithp: agreed
23:42 <+emmes> we don't have to get to a conclusion right away. but we also should think about the timing - another of Michael's proposal (which I found great!) was to invite the google SoC students to present their work on the conference. maybe even mandatory.
23:42 <+Bart_Massey> Anyway, I'd like to make a decision as soon as possible so I can start organizing the book sprint.  Let's try to see how far we can get with this next meeting?
23:43 <+emmes> Bart_Massey: I think nobody was against the book sprint?
23:43 <+keithp> Have we posted sufficient requests to the list asking for hosting volunteers?
23:44 <alanc> I don't think we've posted any
23:44 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: I want to invite people ASAP so that they get it on their calendars.  The people we need are busy busy.
23:45 <+emmes> right ;-)
23:45 <marcheu> book sprint?
23:46 <+Bart_Massey> We're going to write an X.Org New Developer Guide next year. :-)
23:46 <marcheu> ah, maybe I could interest you in something I've done then
23:46 <+Bart_Massey> Whatcha got?
23:47 <marcheu> a 65-something page manuscript on that I think
23:47 <+Bart_Massey> nice
23:48 <+Bart_Massey> Please email it to me at, and we'll talk offline about how it fits.
23:48 <marcheu> been doing that thing for a year or so
23:48 <+Bart_Massey> Where do you find time for this?  Wow.
23:48 <marcheu> yeah sure, I intend to put it online when it's done
23:48 <marcheu> but maybe we could collaborate on it instead
23:48 <+Bart_Massey> If you want collaborators we can arrange that.
23:49 <marcheu> sounds like it would be a good base to bootstrap such a project
23:49 <agd5f> sounds good
23:49 <+Bart_Massey> Awesome, actually.
23:49 <marcheu> the exact topic is "linux graphics drivers" though, not just X.Org :)
23:49 <+Bart_Massey> Perfect.  
23:49 <+Bart_Massey> We will fill in the rest
23:50 <+Bart_Massey> Having a first draft of the biggest section is a terrific start
23:50 <marcheu> gimme 5 second, I'll compile a pdf and put it online
23:51 <+Bart_Massey> Thanks huge.
23:52 <alanc> marcheu: btw, if you missed the previous book sprint discussion, you might have missed the bits scrolled even further back: "Huge thanks to Stephane for running GSoC 2010.  Very nice job."
23:52 <marcheu>
23:52 <marcheu> alanc: nope I've got it, thanks :)
23:52 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: Thanks.
23:52 <+Bart_Massey> marcheu: Indeed!
23:53 <alanc> anything else for today, or are we ready to call it done?
23:53 <+Bart_Massey> Such a relief for me to not have to do anything. :-)
23:53 <+Bart_Massey> I'm good.
23:54 <+anholt> sorry, fell off wireless and didn't notice :/
23:54 <+Bart_Massey> marcheu: Sweet book!
23:55 <agd5f> nothing else from me
23:55 <+Bart_Massey> I will read it carefully, and maybe even I will understand some things now. :-)
23:55 <marcheu> yeah a lot of work went into it, but it's not yet halfway there :(
23:55 <+Bart_Massey> That's the beauty of the book sprint approach; we can accelerate it enormously
23:55 <marcheu> yup
23:56 <marcheu> sorry, I have to take off now
23:56 <alanc> wasn't matttst also working on KMS docs?
23:56 <alanc> or docs on writing a KMS driver that is
23:57 <+Bart_Massey> I have to go also.  Thanks all!
23:57 <alanc> I move to adjourn since everyone is leaving
00:33 <alanc> created