Date is 2011-12-08, times are UTC+01.

23:00 <agd5f> hello
23:00 <stukreit> hey
23:00 <+alanc> good afternoon
23:00 <+emmes> good night
23:01 <+alanc> mherrb was the only person I saw e-mail from that they couldn't make it
23:01 <+alanc> so hopefully we'll see keithp, anholt & bart today
23:02 <+keithp> anholt has another meeting today
23:03 <+alanc> okay, then I guess we can get started and let Bart catchup if he comes late
23:03 <+keithp> he's given me a proxy vote for xds
23:03 <+alanc> first off: looks like our EVoC student is doing well, and hopefully stukreit has posted a check to him by now
23:03 <stukreit> its in the mail
23:04 <+alanc> and I suggested he consider going to FOSDEM if it fits into his schedule (should be around the time his project wraps up - possibly when his classes begin again though)
23:05 <+alanc> any other comments on the EVoC progress?
23:05 <+alanc> oh, yeah, and Matt & Bart got him to post his project on the wiki as a future example
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> We should make sure he knows he's semi-obligated to attend XDC this year
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> and give a talk about his work
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> sorry XDS :-)
23:06 <+alanc> since he's in Berlin, it may be even closer than FOSDEM for him
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> Indeed.
23:07 <+alanc> we should also mention that the election committee needs to get a schedule published soon if we're going to mostly match last year's schedule
23:07 <+alanc> and that's all the business I had before the main event: Dublin vs. Nuremberg
23:08 <+alanc> the board got writeups for both proposals - so what do we think?
23:08 <+Bart_Massey> In general, I tend toward the sentiment for Nuremberg, for a number of reasons. But I think they're both great proposals.
23:09 <stukreit> I got the impression that Dublin is a livelier but more expensive choice
23:09 <+alanc> I agree with mherrb's comment that having 3 organizers is an advantage over one person trying to do it all solo
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> We could do Nuremberg in 2012, Dublin in 2013, and then do Americas again in 2014?
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> AFAIK there's nothing in our charter that requires us to do strict alternation; it's just a tradition.
23:10 <+keithp> Luc has done a pretty good job running the X room at fosdem for many years
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> That would also give airlied a bit more time to get a crew together, which he might actually appreciate.
23:10 <+emmes> Bart_Massey: you're right. I think it was just standard procedure so far.
23:10 <+keithp> dublin does have a more active night life; which, after Toulouse, may not be a net positive?
23:10 <+alanc> right, I thought that was just the compromise when we cut down from trying to do both in the same year
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> We could say that the compromise is now English-speaking / non-English-speaking :-)
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> Then we could hold 2014 in Brazil :-)
23:11 <+emmes> and it's not that nuernberg has everything closed during the night. there's in fact plenty of nightlife in the inner city.
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> Anyway, keithp's point is well-taken, I think :-)
23:13 <+keithp> I like both cities, and both seem similar wrt travel, with a possible slight plus to Nuremberg given the proximity to FRA
23:13 <+Bart_Massey> I plan to travel by rail from Berlin; it's a pretty short train ride.
23:13 <+Bart_Massey> I'm not sure what the trains are like from London.
23:14 <+alanc> for venues, it seems Nuremberg has a slight edge if we can get rooms at either SuSE or the Uni, though I might be able to get some help from the Oracle Dublin office (where our GNOME team is found) - not sure what facilities they have there
23:15 <agd5f> I think google has an office there too
23:15 <+Bart_Massey> I'm thinking Nuernberg by a nose at this point; I keep hearing slight sentiment in that direction. Move to select Nuernberg, with a note to airlied thanking him profusely for the Dublin proposal.
23:16 <stukreit> Is that to say we/airlied haven't explored options at Dublin thus far? because the sentiment is leaning more towards Neuremberg?
23:16 <+keithp> stukreit: it sounds like the nuremberg proposal is slightly more 'done' at this point
23:16 <stukreit> momentum
23:16 <+alanc> airlied mentioned Trinity College, the Google offices & the Oracle offices as options in his last e-mail
23:17 <+keithp> I've been to aKademy at trinity; it was lovely
23:17 <+keithp> they rent out rooms on campus
23:17 <+keithp> and have reasonable conference facilities
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> I'm confused. Is this a different Trinity than at Oxford where we were before?
23:17  * Bart_Massey feels so...American
23:17 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: this is trinity college in dublin
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> 'k
23:18 <+keithp> and, we were at cambridge last time anyways
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> So I'll take my motion off the table if folks think we need to explore a bit more.
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> But I'm concerned that there will be no clear way to decide.
23:18 <+keithp> it's a beauty contest for the most part
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> Both seem like great proposals and I'm kinda thinking we just have to pick one and live with it.
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: exactly
23:19 <+emmes> i'll remain neutral when it comes to the decision, for obvious reasons.
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: I think there's no reason for that.
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> Proximity to the folks who will be attending is a definite plus.
23:19 <+alanc> at least we have to pick one for this year - doesn't mean we can't go to the other in a later year
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> Otherwise PDX would be terrible.
23:19 <+emmes> but bart's idea of doing nbg 2012 and dublin 2013 looks like an awsome idea for me, if that is ok with the Americans...
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> Works for me!
23:19 <+emmes> that is you guys :-P
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> We'll also have to ask airlied if he's willing to wait a year, of course. I'm guessing he'd be ok with that...
23:20 <+alanc> the magic of corporate travel - getting the approval to go anywhere in the world that requires plane tickets is about the same level of difficulty, so anywhere outside the Bay Area is mostly the same to me
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> Anybody object to the plan that has Nuernberg 2012, Dublin 2013? If not, let's get some +1s...
23:21 <+alanc> +1
23:21 <stukreit> +1
23:21 <+keithp> +1
23:22 <+emmes> I'd go for 0 as I'm biased, unless we need my voice for the quorum
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: just vote for it.
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> you're supposed to be biased in favor of good things; that's why you're here :-)
23:22 <+keithp> emmes: especially if you  think you can swing rooms at the university
23:23 <+alanc> with anholt & mherrb out, that leaves agd5f & emmes to vote still
23:23 <+keithp> alanc: anholt had a slight preference for dublin
23:23 <+emmes> 'key. I'm unsure with the university yet, but chances are we can get one if it's outside the lecture period
23:23 <+alanc> and mherrb for nuremberg
23:23 <+emmes> so i go for +1 to make things easy
23:24 <+keithp> nice that we actually have a choice to make this year
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: indeed. thanks huge to both proposals!!
23:24 <agd5f> Either option works for me.  I don't really have an opinion either way.  so, +1
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> better yet, we have a tentative plan for 2013 already.
23:25 <+alanc> it's looking unanimous then for telling the Nuremberg folks to get started for 2012 and asking airlied about hosting in Dublin in 2013
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> Cool.
23:25 <+emmes> I'll notify Egbert and Luc
23:25 -!- mherrb [] has joined #xf-bod
23:26 <+alanc> welcome mherrb
23:26 <mherrb> hi
23:26 <+Bart_Massey> Before we give up this topic: I liked the suggestion of putting together an actual informal Program Committee and putting a program together in advance.
23:26 <agd5f> although, i've been to Nuremberg, but never been to Dublin, so the traveller in me would prefer Dublin ;)
23:26 <+alanc> you just came in as we were finishing the vote for telling the Nuremberg folks to get started for 2012 and asking airlied about hosting in Dublin in 2013
23:26 <+Bart_Massey> I would be on such a committee, or even chair it if asked, since it's good for my academic career and I know how to do it
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> But I don't need to be involved: I would just like to see it happen
23:28 <+alanc> sounds good to me, and having you help should let the conference organizers focus more on the logistics
23:30 <+Bart_Massey> We need a committee of more than one, though. I know  Matthieu said he'd help. (He can chair if he prefers, of course.)
23:30 <+Bart_Massey> Any other volunteers? Anyone we should ask?
23:30 <+emmes> Bart_Massey: appreciated, very! I'd probably help from the local side with that part.
23:31 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: any help greatly appreciated
23:31 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: you realize that the 'paper review' committee work will consist almost entirely of beating the bushes to make people submit stuff early, righgt?
23:31 <mherrb> academic team :)
23:31 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: Heck yes
23:31 <+Bart_Massey> But I'd like to have us write a "formal" Call For Papers with some guidance about what and how to play, sooner rather than later.
23:32 <+alanc> it could also involve planning on better preserving the talks (posting slides/videos/notes/etc.)
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> I doubt we'll reject anybody because their proposal is too late, but I'd like to set at least some kind of soft deadline.
23:32 <+emmes> and pushing people to actually *have* slides - though it was better this year than last year :)
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> I'm still trying to figure out what kind of incentives we can offer people to propose early.
23:33 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: travel sponsorship
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: Good point.
23:33 <+alanc> speakers gifts for people who make the deadline?  (tshirts or beer steins or something)
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: great idea
23:33 <+keithp> I can work on having Intel sponsor travel for a set of speakers
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: Cool.
23:34 <+Bart_Massey> I forget: what is the actual conference date?
23:34 <stukreit> +1. The sooner we square away sponsorship, the easier my job is.  Hate being asked for money on the spot.
23:34 <+keithp> and, custom logo beer steins for speakers would be awfully cool too :-)
23:34 <+alanc> so far we've narrowed the date down to 2012
23:34 <+keithp> alanc: sept was the proposal
23:34 <+keithp> aligns with other 'regional festivities' that occur in Germany near there
23:34 <+alanc> probably septemberish, but I think they were waiting on exact dates until we gave them the go ahead to start reserving venues
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> OK, so I'm going to target early July as the deadline, with an explicit public plan to slip it by a couple of weeks to late July.
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> I'd like the PC to start meeting regularly until we get things going. Does this time on alternate weeks work for those here?
23:36 <mherrb> yes
23:36 <+emmes> septemberish is good, because classes start in october, so the University is still deserted. Gives a good chances for a (couple of ;) room(s) for free or at least easy money.
23:36 <+emmes> yes, it does
23:37 <stukreit> I would like to see the date be not 9/16,17,26.
23:37 <+alanc> that's when the holidays line up between the calendars this year?
23:37 <stukreit> yup
23:37 <+Bart_Massey> Sweet. See you all here next Thursday. Someone please get an email list set up for us (or we can use the Board list if the Board prefers) and let's discuss getting a few more folks on the PC.
23:38 <+alanc> if you're going to include Luc or other non-board members a separate list would probably be better
23:38 <+alanc> any other business for today's meeting?
23:38 <+Bart_Massey> Works for me. Can someone with more clue than I take care of the email list?
23:38 <+emmes> i'd suggest to have Luc and Egbert on the list, so yes.
23:39 <+alanc> next meeting should be Thursday, Dec. 22, just before the holidays
23:39 <+Bart_Massey> Let's not do that, IMHO
23:40 <+emmes> do we have to decide anything then? I guess getting the venue done was the most pressing part.
23:40 <agd5f> elections?
23:41 <+alanc> elections is the next most pressing item
23:41 <variable> when are they ?
23:41 <+alanc> if we follow last years schedule, nominations would open on Jan. 16
23:41 <agd5f> election committee needs to decide
23:42 <+alanc> if we skip Dec. 22, then Jan. 5 is next scheduled meeting to approve the schedule, but we need to get the election committee in gear in the meantime
23:42 <stukreit> I confess to being on the e committee. What's the minimum we need to do before year end?
23:43 <+keithp> stukreit: keep breathing?
23:43 <agd5f> nothing in theory, but elections need to happen at some point.  maybe decide on a schedule?
23:43 <stukreit> dig up announcements and drft new one?
23:44 <stukreit> dig up old schedule and draft new one?
23:44 <stukreit> hit snooze button?
23:44 <variable> stukreit: at least do what keithp said ;) 
23:45 <+alanc> there's a checklist in the wiki
23:45 <+alanc> but yeah, drafting schedule is the next step
23:45 <stukreit> no prob. I have nothing to be anxious about.
23:46 <+keithp> stukreit: unless you have asthma
23:46 <variable> :)
23:46 <stukreit> or do you mean cop? or finals?
23:47 <stukreit> anyway, yes, I volunteer to scratch up a schedule
23:48 <+alanc> stukreit: look in your e-mail for a message from me on nov. 22 titled: "Election committee reminder."
23:48 <stukreit> thanks. got it. 
23:50 <stukreit> should we adjust all dates to fall on a sunday or something?
23:51 <+Bart_Massey> GTG (literally): Thanks all! -oo
23:51 <+alanc> didn't we do Monday's last year?
23:51 <+alanc> I think we're done with the board meeting business for today
23:52 <stukreit> move to end meeting
23:52 <+alanc> oh, so did we all agree to skip Dec. 22 and just meet next on Jan. 5?
23:52 <+alanc> we can deal with election schedule by e-mail
23:53 <stukreit> sure
23:56 <mherrb> +1
23:56 <agd5f> +1
23:56 <mherrb> (for jan 5. meeting )
23:56 <stukreit> +1
23:57 <+alanc> +1
23:57 -!- alanc changed the topic of #xf-bod to: X.Org Foundation Board: just hanging the washing up | Next meeting: *Thursday* Jan. 5, 2pm US/Pacific
23:58 <+alanc> okay, I declare the motion to skip Dec. 22 has passed and the meeting now adjourned
23:58 <+alanc> thanks for coming everyone