Date is 2012-02-16, times are UTC+01.

22:58 <+alanc> good afternoon/evening/$TZ-appropriate-greeting
23:01 <+alanc> agd5f sent mail saying he couldn't make it today
23:01 <+alanc> keithp is biking new zealand and may not be near internet
23:01 <stukreit> hi
23:02 <+alanc> that leaves anholt unaccounted for (assuming Bart_Massey is actually here since he just logged in)
23:02 <stukreit> I occasionally bike santa clara and consider myself lucky
23:03 <+Bart_Massey> hi all
23:03 <+emmes> New Zealand... Sigh...
23:03 <+alanc> as tstellar mentioned just before the meeting, it's time for orgs to apply to GSoC for this year
23:04 <+alanc> I assume we're all happy with asking marcheu to continue handling that for us if he's willing?
23:04 <+Bart_Massey> Heck yes.
23:04 <+mherrb> +1
23:04 <+emmes> always
23:04 <+alanc> Bart_Massey & marcoz can help I'm sure, plus we'll need mentors to review proposals if/when accepted
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> Happy to help where I can.
23:05 <+emmes> i'll review, as always
23:06 <+emmes> i guess Alex will as well
23:06 <+alanc> for EVoC, it seems our student has successfully completed, and is owed a $3000 check for the second half from stukreit, plus whatever his fosdem trip expenses were
23:06 <marcoz> hi all. I'm also happy to help wherever
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> Very nice.
23:08 <+alanc> we did fail a bit on our end on the payment schedule, since we promised 4 checks, one a month, but ended up batching into 2 checks - hopefully that didn't cause hardship on the student's side
23:08 <stukreit> ah.. err.. .um...
23:09 <+alanc> as I recall, when I was a student, I would have been thrilled to get checks that size at all
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> anyway, we'll do better if/when next time rolls around, but good job everybody!
23:10 <+alanc> though $3k back then would have barely covered a first gen laptop 8-)
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> I couldn't be happier to see us finally succesfully execute one of these.
23:10 <stukreit> not as an excuse, but as parent of 3 current/recent college grads, paid internships, even in the sciences are extremely hard to come by
23:11 <+alanc> anything else we need to discuss on GSoC or EVoC?
23:11 <stukreit> its tons of money in laptop-years, but much less in food-years
23:12 <+alanc> stukreit: any issues/news on 501(c)3 filing?   we get everything needed back to the lawyers/IRS on time?
23:13 <stukreit> yes, Aaron sent it all out under the deadline. no word since
23:14 <+alanc> emmes: anything to say about XDS?
23:14 <marcoz> gsoc/evoc:   not a discussion topic, but a note of possible interest. I'm pinging the local unis for interested students. However, I'm not getting as much bite as I thought I might.
23:14 <+emmes> haven't heard anything new from Egbert
23:15 <+Bart_Massey> We have a fundamental problem with the learning curve for X. Hopefully marcoz can get the book spring going and we can try that as a first cut
23:15  * Bart_Massey spring->sprint
23:15 <marcoz> nice segue into book sprint.
23:15 <marcoz> or should I wait til after official business is over.
23:15 <marcoz> ?
23:16 <+emmes> AFAIK the room is still set, and we're good to advertize. However, I'll have to contact Egbert once more for that.
23:16 <+alanc> marcoz: you can go ahead now, not much more official business I have on my list of topics
23:16 <+emmes> Bart_Massey: Shall we prepare a call for papers soonish?
23:16 <+Bart_Massey> Oops. Yeah, now that we know the dates we should get that out in the next week or so.
23:17 <marcoz> so far my list of attendees:  alanc, Josh, marcheu, me, 
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> Am I drafted to do the first cut, or was someone else gonna do that?
23:17 <marcoz> and Bart.
23:17 <+emmes> at least you were first to volunteer ;-)
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> Fair enough. :-)
23:17 <+emmes> but I'll ask Egbert first how to continue there.
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> I'll try to write something after this meeting.
23:18 <+emmes> I guess the main advertizing should be written by Egbert, unless he'd like to delegate that. The call for papers is only a subtask therein.
23:18 <marcoz> that gives 5, plus hopefully KeithP.  I haven't heard from anyone else. not even a "I won't make it" when I poke them directly.
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> Yeah, we need to get a program committee together too.
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: I think Jamey's going to try to make it if we can hit his schedule.
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> i'll bug him again
23:20 <marcoz> that'd be great.  thx.
23:20 <marcoz> I assumed you can make it.  Is that a safe assumption?
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> me? yes, assuming we pick the right date.
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> right now our target date looks pretty good..
23:22 <+mherrb> apropos lawyers/IRS: last  year (  we voted for a yearly $2k contrib to sflc... time to honour it?
23:22 <marcoz> Bart_Massey, I have no desire to move it at this point; it'd be late notice. That's within a mth
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> mherrb: thanks for the reminder. +1
23:23 <+emmes> right +1
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: only way we would move it is way way forward
23:23 <+alanc> +1 for sflc contrib
23:23 <+mherrb> +1 too
23:24 <marcoz> so you're saying tomorrow won't work for you?
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: wtf? i thought we were talking about march sometime?
23:26  * alanc suddenly realizes it's halfway through February and March isn't that far away
23:26 <stukreit> wait- is this in addition to the first sflc contribution?
23:26 <stukreit> (sorry, need to readthe logs better)
23:26 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: march 9-11, no?
23:27 <stukreit> I need an excuse to go to nyc..
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: did we finally send them a check at some point? we've voted to several times...
23:27 <+alanc> stukreit: yes, the first one was for everything they'd done so far, and then annual contribs for ongoing work, like what justin is doing now
23:27 <stukreit> I gave them a check last year
23:27 <marcoz> Bart_Massey, correct. Mar 9-11
23:27 <stukreit> fyi justin has moved on. We work with Aaron
23:28 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: this weekend was a joke. ;)
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: thank goodness :-)  my calendar is such a mess right now
23:28 <marcheu> alanc: yeah I can do SoC this year
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> marcheu: Thanks!
23:29 <+emmes> awesome!
23:29 <+alanc> marcheu: awesome!   let us know if there's anything you need, and when you need people to start reviewing proposals
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> You can use the stats and stuff I gathered for Aaron
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> in the org app
23:31 <marcoz> Bart_Massey, alanc, did we want to open it up to the general mailing list for anyone interested in the book sprint? we _might_ get one or two
23:31 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Please invite them (again) to apply. It's by invitation only, but any reasonable person who expresses interest should get an invitation.
23:32 <marcoz> ok, I'll spam the mailing lists.
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> (IOW, no known wackos, no known psychos, no one we don't know)
23:32 <+alanc> so the only other business I'm remembering to discuss today is the elections
23:33 <+alanc> as usual, we extended the nomination deadline due to insufficient nominees accepting in time
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> Of course, probably a mistake to express this policy publicly, since now anyone not invited will be mortally insulted
23:34 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: i'm worried this time that the extension might not do it. What's our plan f not?
23:34 <+alanc> Bart_Massey: most of the people who've agreed to give up a weekend to this are known wackos, but their insanity works in our favor in these areas, especially the obsessive ones
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: lol 
23:35 <+alanc> Bart_Massey: I'll have to double check my mail, but I think we've now hit 4 accepting, though we still need a statement from one by the Monday deadline
23:35 <+alanc> which is a minimum viable set for the board
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: good
23:36 <+alanc> I can think of at least one more potential candidate to nominate that hasn't been pinged yet, if we don't think it's bad form for the election committee members to submit nominations
23:36 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: I have already submitted several
23:37 <+Bart_Massey> please do bug anyone who might be good
23:39 <+alanc> okay, any more business to discuss today?
23:39 <+Bart_Massey> move to adjourn
23:41 <+Bart_Massey> bye all!
23:41 <+mherrb> +1 bye.