Date is 2012-03-29, times are UTC+02.

23:00 <+alanc> good afternoon
23:00 <marcoz> howdy
23:01 <agd5f> hi
23:02 <+alanc> anholt? emmes? keithp? stukreit?
23:05 <+anholt> hi
23:05 <stukreit> hihi
23:05 <+alanc> so that's 5 of 8, still waiting on Bart, keithp & emmes to arrive
23:06 <+alanc> the two main items I had for today's agenda are officer selections & XDC update
23:06 <+emmes> i'm here
23:06 <+alanc> and Bart makes 7
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> Hey all. Sorry to be late.
23:07 <+alanc> all you missed so far was roll call
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> Whew. Don't want to give the new Board Members a bad impression. :-)
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> Yet. :-)
23:07 <+alanc> so for the officer selection, lets try the easy one first - stukreit has agreed to continue as treasurer
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> +1
23:07 <+alanc> everyone in favor of that?
23:07 <+emmes> and i'm still waiting for an answer from Egbert for the XDC call he wanted to have created by now; seems he's swamped...
23:08 <agd5f> +1
23:08 <+anholt> +1
23:08 <+Bart_Massey> Egbert put out the call last night, no?
23:08 <marcoz> +1
23:08 <+alanc> +1
23:08 <+emmes> i don't see any alternative stepping forward ;-) +1
23:08 <stukreit> folks, thanks for the votes, but actually I made an agreement to serve for 5 years
23:08 <stukreit> a while ago..
23:08 <+alanc> stukreit: I think the bylaws require us to redo this every term though
23:08 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: It is hugely appreciated. But I think it's better if the Board officially approves you once a year.
23:09 <stukreit> unless that agreement is considered too casual. ie its not on record
23:09 <stukreit> ok, that's fine with me.
23:09 <+emmes> so with that statement you just agreed for another 5 years? just kidding.
23:09 <+alanc> of course the bylaws also require two signatures on every check and the board sort of waived that
23:09 <stukreit> yes, it turned out to be a pita
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> Someone (probably me) needs to do proposed updates to the Bylaws before this September.
23:09 <+alanc> yes
23:09 <+alanc> was just typing in the same thing
23:10 <+alanc> anyways, on to secretary, for which the current officeholder is not continuing
23:10 <+emmes> before election time, yes. would fit with membership renewal...
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> BTW, have we abandoned XDS/XDC? I'm good either way, but we should figure it out. Table this for now; discuss today though.
23:10 <+alanc> who is willing to put in the time to be secretary?
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: Bylaws changes have to be voted at a General Meeting. This is usually XDC/XDS
23:11 <+emmes> right. forgot about that one.
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> Having been drummed out by the Membership previously, I consider myself immune. :-)
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> Keithp?
23:11 <agd5f> we need to add stuff as recommended by the IRS
23:12 <+Bart_Massey> agd5f: Sounds good. We should start putting a list together online somewhere soon.
23:14 <+alanc> while some members appreciate the secretary putting in the 30 minutes or so every other week to write a summary of the meeting, the minimum we've required for minutes is saving a log of the IRC channel
23:14 <+Bart_Massey> Other duties of the Secretary include writing an Annual Report.
23:15 <+alanc> and I've done less than the minimum for the last year or so, since emmes was the one actually posting the logs
23:15 <+Bart_Massey> I'm happy to run meetings and represent the org, but I'm terrible at keeping records and such. Somebody want to split with me?
23:16 <+emmes> i'll continue with the logs, so that one should be fine
23:16 <+alanc> in theory, somewhere out there is a official corporate record book and other physical papers, but I never got them, and I suspect they're still in leon's possesion
23:17 <stukreit> didn't Karen meet with him for this? Bart? Keith?
23:18 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: i could take a shot at helping you out.
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> I don't think we ever got anything useful out of Leon.
23:18 <+alanc> (still haven't seen keithp today)
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> It doesn't matter much, since it was all pretty much pre-X.Org
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> I'll call keithp in a minute.
23:18 <+alanc> so anyone else volunteering?  or is Bart our only willing victim?
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> Let's do some other business while I try to get in touch with keithp...
23:20 <+alanc> the other business is back to XDC, for which egbert sent out the announcement to members this morning
23:20 <+alanc> 10 people signed up already on
23:21 <+alanc> announcement at for those who missed it
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> Nice. 
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> Now I have to get the CFP out and the PC together.
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> This is a busy Spring "Break" for me :-).
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> Again "XDS" or "XDC"?
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> I'm all for just giving up and calling them all "XDC".
23:22 <+keithp> sorry, schedule scrambled today -- too much rain to fly little airplanes
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> The other sensible alternative is to call the Eastern Hemisphere ones XDS and the Western Hemisphere ones XDC as we have been.
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> In which case Egbert's CFP is wrong, though :-)
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> I move to declare the name XDS kaput and XDC to be the official name for this conference from now on.
23:23 <+alanc> having different names when they were in the same year made sense, but not so much when there's just one a year
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> I agree.
23:24 <+alanc> +1 for bart's motion
23:24 <marcoz> +1
23:24 <+alanc> retroactively making Egbert correct 8-)
23:24 <+keithp> +1 (is deleting names as good as deleting code?)
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> It's hard to delete 1M lines of names :-)
23:25 <+emmes> always been +1
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> For the new Board Members: The traditional vote of assent on a motion is +1, of course.
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> But you knew that.
23:25 <+alanc> well, we probably need to delete some names from our membership rolls, so we're not quite so close on quorum in future elections, but that's a different topic
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: Or get some new active members :-)
23:26 <+alanc> you can call him marcoz instead of "the new Board Members" if you want to type less 8-)
23:26 <+Bart_Massey> Hi Matt!
23:26 <+Bart_Massey> When have I ever wanted to type less? :-)
23:26 <+alanc> so anything else to say about XDC before going back to secretary selection?
23:26 <marcoz> :) Hi Bart
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> So I talked to keithp, and I guess I'm willing to be Secretary again. He has promised to help as needed, and I'll try to be better about delegating in general this time around.
23:27 <+anholt> +1 on xdc
23:27 <+alanc> yes, I sucked at delegating, though I was better at accepting offers of help, like posting the irc logs
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> Yes, emmes, thanks much and please keep doing this!
23:28 <+alanc> so to all board members, if there's stuff you'd like to see the secretary do, the secret is to offer to help do it!
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> If selected, I will also occasionally ask for things. It helps a lot if someone steps up to do them. :-)
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> LMK if sending chocolate or something is required: I can arrange that.
23:29 <+alanc> so all in favor of naming Bart_Massey secretary for this term?
23:29 <+keithp> +1!
23:29 <marcoz> +1
23:29 <+alanc> +1
23:30 <agd5f> +1
23:30 <stukreit> in favor of Bart sending voodoo donuts ? +1
23:30 <+emmes> +1
23:30 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: Not sure how to pack them so they don't arrive icky.
23:30 <stukreit> (wifey just got back from portland with a box)
23:30 <+keithp> scary
23:31 <+alanc> not a pail of donuts, like we had at the Portland XDC?
23:31 <+keithp> that was awesome
23:31 <stukreit> TSA tried to confiscate them,said the fillings are over the allowed limits of liquids
23:31 <+Bart_Massey> LOL
23:31 <+anholt> +1
23:32 <+alanc> in any case, seems unanimous, so Bart, consider the torch passed back to you
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> Thanks! I think!
23:32 <+alanc> oh, should I have handed the handle to you instead of putting the lit end in your hand?
23:33 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: we should schedule lunch on friday after the meeting to get things done
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: Excellent plan. Altering calendar now.
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> Someone want to volunteer to manage the Bylaws change proposal? Needs someone to set up and maintain some web pages with the proposed changes, solicit changes from the Board, get them reviewed, get ready to prep.
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> I will contribute to the changes, help edit the changes, etc.
23:34 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: you're on my calendar now
23:34 <+alanc> should be able to do that on the normal wiki instead of waiting for all the board members to get access to the private wiki
23:34 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: either way is good with me
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> I just don't want to be in the loop on getting this set up. Too much on my plate already.
23:35 <+alanc> Tollef said he'd try to get around to creating the accounts soon for board members who don't have them yet - hopefully everyone sent him the needed details
23:36 <+Bart_Massey> speaking of all of this: what *is* the protocol if one of us wants to discuss things privately with the Board? Email list, I guess?
23:36 <marcoz> alanc: do I need to send him anything? I read the email that I didn't but now I'm not sure.
23:36 <+anholt> yeah, thought it was just email list.
23:37 <+alanc> e-mail's been the only way I remember handling private stuff
23:37 <+Bart_Massey> We used to have the IRC channel private.
23:38 <+alanc> marcoz: for the expo login I think you just needed to give him a username and he'd copy the ssh key from fd.o, but if I recall correctly wiki access requires an apache htpasswd encoded passwd
23:38 <+Bart_Massey> I guess I won't worry about it for now. Eventually, though, we may want to be able to move to a closed channel temporarily.
23:38 <marcoz> ah ok. so any encoded .htpasswd then.  ok.
23:39 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Missed your message earlier somehow. I will definitely take advantage of your help, as I have been to a huge degree already :-).
23:39 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: glad to help. btw: consider this the bi-weekly booksprint poke. :)
23:40 <+Bart_Massey> Should poke me more often than bi-weekly :-). Worked on it some last night; getting closer.
23:40 <marcoz> anything I (or anyone else *cough*) can do to help?  
23:41 <+Bart_Massey> Not right this minute, but RSN. I've almost got the editing finished and the cover art pasted together.
23:41 <marcoz> sweet
23:41 <+Bart_Massey> When that's done, we're going to have to figure out format(s) and publication.
23:41 <+Bart_Massey> Somebody besides me could do that bit.
23:42 <+Bart_Massey> marcheu: tbh I haven't looked---is the stuff you wrote during the Sprint in the repo with the rest of your drivers book?
23:42 <+Bart_Massey> BTW, I haven't edited that at all.
23:43 <+Bart_Massey> And probably won't anytime soon: it's huge. I'll scout around for someone who can take it on.
23:43 <+alanc> oh, if marcheu is here, there is one more thing I forgot - did google ever say why they found us unworthy for GSoC this year?
23:43 <+Bart_Massey> I talked with Donnie. The official explanation is that they didn't like our ideas page.
23:44 <+Bart_Massey> The bar gets set higher every year, and apparently we were below it. There was no inciting incident that they would tell us about.
23:44 <+alanc> so we need to do a better job of that for next year?   probably should archive the old stuff instead of just continually stuffing more in
23:44 <marcoz> uhh, seriously?  
23:45 <+Bart_Massey> If we are going to apply again next year (and I'm not sure we should bother, frankly), then I think we need to completely revamp the way we're organized for this.
23:45 <marcoz> In their massive FAQ, is ideas page professionallity described?
23:46 <+Bart_Massey> Google seems to want a ton of structure these days for GSoC; I wouldn't bother applying again unless we're willing to put together something fancy enough that it would be hard for them to say no.
23:46 <marcoz> which is a nice segue into EVoC,  anyone been pinged by students?  I've been pinged by 4,  one or two of them I expect may bite.
23:46 <+Bart_Massey> But maybe that's just me.
23:47 <+Bart_Massey> One thing about EVoC I'd like to suggest is that we launch it as an official unpaid program for non-students as well.
23:47 <+Bart_Massey> That is, anyone can participate in EVoC, but only the students get paid.
23:47 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: that's difficult given our 501(c) 3 status...
23:47 <+Bart_Massey> At the very least, it would make it clear to everyone what the rules are.
23:47 <+keithp> oh, sure, if we're not paying for them
23:47 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: Yeah.
23:47 <+keithp> not sure how much interest that would engender though
23:48 <+Bart_Massey> Maybe none. At the very least, it might stop non-students asking to apply. :-0
23:48 <+Bart_Massey> But at best someone will want the mentoring and "prestige" of having done an EVoC...
23:49 <+Bart_Massey> It's certainly easy to do: basically a one-line change to the EVoC page.
23:49 <marcoz> Who hear can I ping later for help on effective ways to drum up student interest? I'm not having much luck. 
23:50 <+alanc> we usually get a surge of interest (inquiries at least) once the students find out which of them didn't get accepted for GSoC, which is still a ways ahead
23:50 <+Bart_Massey> It's really hard. If I had good ideas I'd be using them. We do have a Capstone team that just finished here at PSU doing an X project. That's 6 prospectives...
23:51 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: But the GSoC rejects are usually a sorry lot.
23:51 <+Bart_Massey> Anyway, move to admit non-students to EVoC on a non-paid basis.
23:51 <+alanc> certainly if Jamey or Jeremy said they had a good candidate from that class they wanted to mentor for further work under EVoC I'd be happy
23:52 <+Bart_Massey> I'll remind them of that option. Second my motion?
23:52 <+alanc> seconded
23:52 <marcoz> +1
23:52 <+Bart_Massey> in favor?
23:52 <+alanc> +1
23:52 <stukreit> +1
23:53 <+Bart_Massey> motion carries. editing wiki page now...
23:53 <+keithp> +1
23:53 <agd5f> +1
23:54 <+Bart_Massey> I couldn't even find the EVoC page from our front page. :-)
23:54 <marcoz_> bah, stupid computer
23:54 <+Bart_Massey> Someone might want to fix that as well.
23:55 <+emmes> +1. Even if it only helps keeping non-students wanting payment out
23:55 <+emmes> Bart_Massey: Another thing about XDC: Now that the message is out (and even a link to the program in the wiki) - shall we do more about a real CFP?
23:56 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: Yeah, mentioned that earlier. I'll try to get the PC together this week, and ship you all the CFP I've partially written once it's finished.
23:56 <+Bart_Massey> $#@! I need another week of Spring Break.
23:57 <+Bart_Massey> Move to adjourn.
23:57 <+alanc> seconded
23:57 <stukreit> +1
23:57 <marcoz_> +1
23:58 <agd5f> +1
23:58 <+Bart_Massey> bye all! See you in a couple weeks!