Date is 2012-06-21, times are UTC+02.

22:57 <marcoz> hey mupuf,  how's Ashwin and Supreet doing?
23:02 <+emmes> hi all
23:02 <marcoz> hey emmes
23:03 <+emmes> bart doesn't seem to be here yet, I also don't see alex so far
23:03 <+alanc> good afternoon
23:05 <+alanc> wasn't alex going to be on a plane instead of coming today?  or was that someone else?
23:05 <+alanc> I remember Bart was going to be in Hawaii
23:05 <stukreit> I'm 1/2 here (on a con call)
23:06 <+alanc> guess we can ask if he can see our CEO's new vacation place from there 8-)
23:06 <+anholt> back.
23:07 <+keithp> hey ho
23:07 <marcoz> who you callin' ho?
23:08 <+keithp> alanc: bart said he'd try to join, but frankly, hawaii seems more interesting than x.org bod
23:08 <+alanc> understood
23:09 <+keithp> I don't have anything new this week either
23:09 <+emmes> i have one point: video recording on xdc
23:09 <+alanc> also lets him skip out out giving an update on the XDC CFP he was supposed to be doing though
23:09 <+keithp> lucky for him
23:10 <+alanc> though I'm a couple action items behind myself (bylaw review, 501c3 announcement) so I'll shut up now 8-)
23:10 <+keithp> last I heard, there wasn't much interest in a formal paper review process for XDC, but some kind of 'submissions time folks' email would be good
23:10 <+alanc> so I say we give the floor to emmes for his xdc item
23:11 <marcoz> I told Bart I'd help with the CFP.  Looks like I'm the one holding him up
23:11 <+emmes> ok, it's not a big deal
23:11 <+emmes> a friend from suse agreed on doing the video, with the (semi-) professional equipment (3-chip 1080p cameras) we have at suse
23:12 <+emmes> some of you might know him, it's Juergen Weigert, on of the authors of screen
23:12 <+alanc> cool
23:12 <+emmes> there is one caveat, though (there always is ;-)
23:12 <marcoz> sweet. can he give a short pres on awesome tricks in screen?
23:13 <+emmes> he requires a few helpers, in fact he's more keen in teaching them how to deal with the cutting.
23:13 <+emmes> so it's more like: do you want to know how to record a talk reasonably? then join here.
23:13 <+emmes> i'll join, of course, because I want to learn ;-)
23:14 <+alanc> sounds like an opportunity to do some of that educational stuff we talked about in our IRS paperwork
23:14 <+emmes> but we probably would need 1,2 more (preferably students) who are willing to learn
23:14 <+emmes> exactly
23:14 <marcoz> i'll help if we end up being short on student volunteers
23:14 <+emmes> cool
23:15 <+alanc> if any of our students want to help thats great, if a professor in the area of the conference had some students from his school who wanted to come learn about video even if they're not involved in X.Org, I'd be happy with that too
23:16 <+emmes> only thing would be, that it would be awesome if the volunteers were here the day before the conference starts, so Juergen can do some introduction. He told me that his experience shows, that almost anybody is able to do that after 1 or 2 hours...
23:16 <+emmes> ok, i'll ask at my place, i'm teaching media engineering so this fits ;-)
23:17 <+emmes> one minor additional thing:
23:18 <+emmes> i'll try to setup a live video streaming solution, and if that works, i'll probably need some support on one of our machines (installing stuff or so). Which of our machines would be best suited for that?
23:21 <+emmes> apparently nobody has an idea...
23:21 <+alanc> I'd suggest asking Tollef or one of the other fd.o admins
23:22 <+alanc> certainly would want to at least give them a heads up of bandwidth spiking the 3 days of the conference
23:22 <+emmes> i thought anholt was one of the fd.o admins. Eric, you there?
23:23 <+keithp> alanc: we've got gods gift to bandwidth; I wouldn't worry about it
23:23 <+emmes> i'll certainly will talk to Tollef, but only after I've confirmed that the system is actually working... which i've no idea of yet.
23:24 <+alanc> keithp: I was more worried about them not being surprised by the sudden change, rather than worrying we wouldn't have enough
23:24 <+anholt> I don't do any management of the software on fdo machines.
23:24 <jcristau> the debconf video team has some experience with conference video recording and streaming, they've gotten quite good at it.  if you want to talk to them.
23:24 <+anholt> but yeah, b/w and storage should not be problems
23:25 <+keithp> they're a bit busy at present getting ready for debconf, but holger in particular is quite knowledgeable and helpful
23:25 <+emmes> jcristau: I think juergen uses a cutting engine based on the one used at debconf.
23:25 <jcristau> ok
23:26 <+emmes> it's basically a live cutting engine - the only thing that frees you from the laborous work of cutting the talks afterwards... and it should enable live streaming
23:27 <+alanc> I guess when our EVoC students pass their midterms and we decide they're ready to be invited to EVoC we should ask if any are interested in media production and offer to fly them in early enough for the setup/training on the prior day
23:27 <+alanc> err, ready to be invited to XDC
23:27 <+emmes> exactly that's what i had in mind
23:27 <+alanc> stupid typos hiding until right after you hit return and they jump out in your face
23:28 <marcoz> is that my cue for evoc report?
23:28 <+emmes> i guess so - I'm done :-)
23:28 <+alanc> sounds good to me
23:29 <marcoz> Ashwin was out for 1 1/2 weeks for food poisoning, ended up in hospital. 
23:29 <marcoz> he's back at it.  mupuf gave him lots to read so he wasn't completely out of it.
23:30 <marcoz> the others, no complaints.  Jess emailed me ~1 hr ago that Bla┼ż is doing well.
23:30 <+alanc> ouch, poor guy - though I'd probably have taken a laptop to the hospital and written incoherent stuff for days
23:30 <marcoz> we've mailed out 1/4 initial payments.  To Jess. the others were missing some info.  Stuart got me a template that I sent to the other 3, they filled it out and sent it back and I got it to Stuart late last night
23:31 <marcoz> yea, I'd be like "who wrote this crap?  oh yea, me"
23:31 <marcoz> stukreit: did you get the info ok?
23:32 <marcoz> Jess is camping this weekend. so we won't know if he's received it until prob Mon.
23:32 <marcoz> that's my report.
23:36 <+alanc> okay
23:36 <+alanc> anything else we have to discuss today?
23:39 <+alanc> are we all mentally out on the beach sipping drinks with little umbrellas, like bart presumably actually is doing?
23:39 <marcoz> ugh, i can hear seagulls cawing now.
23:39 <marcoz> makes this cube seem even smaller
23:40 <+emmes> i'm mentally sleeping...
23:42 <stukreit> unsnooze:  sorry, the other call..
23:43 <stukreit> marcoz: got your emails, haven't opened them yet
23:43 <marcoz> ok
23:43 <stukreit> i'll let you know if any more probs
23:43 <marcoz> thx
23:44 <marcoz> i'm writing this process all down so it's smooth next EVoC
23:44 <stukreit> that is, if we still use wire txfers. We'll see how smooth/expensive this goes
23:45 <marcoz> is it fixed cost or % for wires of that amt?
23:45 <stukreit> they haven't told me yet
23:45 <stukreit> I'm just doing it.
23:45 <marcoz> ok
23:47 <stukreit> have to deal with crap like: if its a currency exchange, the order must be made before 3pm EST, they can't let the order sit overnight.  the error message didn't explain that reason to me, I had to get someone on the phone.
23:48 <marcoz> good times
23:48 <stukreit> also, since I haven't made a wire txfer in 24 months (actually, never), they stepwise reduced the ceiling to $0.  So, now they raised it to $250k.  I told them I'd prefer a ceiling of $10k as a safety fence. no can do.
23:48 <stukreit> just to let you know- my little brain cell is running back and forth on this.
23:49 <marcoz> what does ceiling mean in this case?
23:49 <marcoz> (keep up the good work. thx for doing that)
00:04 <+emmes> it seems we can move to ajourn?
00:04 <marcoz> +1
00:04 <+anholt> +1
00:05 <+alanc> +!
00:10 <+emmes> so see you all (and bart again) in two weeks time
00:12 <marcoz> have a good one