Date is 2012-07-19, times are UTC+02.
23:01 <+alanc> good afternoon 23:01 <+Bart_Massey> Greetings. 23:01 <+Bart_Massey> What business do we have to transact today? 23:01 <+keithp> hola 23:01 <stukreit> hi 23:02 <+Bart_Massey> I've got one set of agenda items, related to the Bylaws 23:02 <+Bart_Massey> Is anything else pressing? 23:02 <stukreit> do we need to approve alan's message re. 501(c)3 announcement? 23:02 <+anholt> switching rooms 23:03 <+alanc> all the mail I got seemed to be in favor of it, I was just going to see if I could post the required public disclosure stuff that Aaron forwarded and stick the URL in, then post 23:03 <+keithp> sounds good to me 23:03 <+emmes> hey all 23:04 <+emmes> i'm online via phone only, so i might drop off silently... 23:04 <+Bart_Massey> I'm not seeing this email 23:04 <+Bart_Massey> when was it sent? 23:04 <marcoz> hi all. sorryIm' late 23:05 <+alanc> which e-mail? the announcement? 23:05 <+Bart_Massey> Yeah. 23:06 <+alanc> Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 19:33:00 -0700 23:06 <+alanc> From: Alan Coopersmith <firstname.lastname@example.org> 23:06 <+alanc> Subject: Draft press release for X.Org 501(c)(3) status 23:06 <+Bart_Massey> Found it, thanks 23:07 <+emmes> yes that one - looked very good to me 23:07 <+Bart_Massey> Yeah, looks good to me also. Let's do it. 23:07 <+Bart_Massey> Has someone put the documents up? 23:07 <+Bart_Massey> Anyone opposed to any of this? 23:08 <+Bart_Massey> Hearing no opposition, the motion is carried. Thanks much, alanc! 23:09 <+alanc> looks like I don't have privs to make a new directory under /srv/xorg.freedesktop.org/www - probably need anholt or keithp to help - I was thinking /foundation/ so it would appear as www.x.org/foundation/ 23:09 <+Bart_Massey> Sigh. We really need to sort wiki privs rsn. 23:09 <+keithp> alanc: I wonder if that would actually work :-) 23:09 <+alanc> seems to work for /archives/ and /videos/ 23:09 <+Bart_Massey> The one very small edit I would make to the announcement is to capitalize "Foundation" throughout.... 23:10 <+alanc> not sure if those needed httpd configuration though 23:10 <+Bart_Massey> Are we good on all this? 23:10 <+alanc> Bart_Massey: will capitalize 23:11 <+Bart_Massey> tx 23:11 <+Bart_Massey> Next up: I've been reading the Bylaws carefully to see what we might want to change. I've discovered some "interesting" things. 23:11 <agd5f> hi, sorry I'm late 23:11 <+keithp> alanc: give it a shot 23:11 <+keithp> (foundation dir created) 23:12 <+Bart_Massey> Perhaps the most relevant is around Annual Meetings 23:12 <+keithp> provides a nice directory list at present 23:12 <+Bart_Massey> Perhaps all of you knew all this, but it was news to me: 23:13 <+Bart_Massey> There are supposed to be two Annual Meetings: An Annual Meeting of the Board and an Annual Meeting of the Members. To transact business at the Members meeting, there must be a quorum of the Membership. 23:13 <+Bart_Massey> Further, voting for business at the Members meeting is required to be electronic under the current Bylaws (?!) 23:14 <+Bart_Massey> So it looks like holding an IRC meeting, separate from XDC, is the only reasonable way to run the Members meeting if we actually want to transact business? 23:14 <+Bart_Massey> In particular, if we want to change the Bylaws. 23:14 <+alanc> right, my reading was the members meeting was purely online and the voting was via our web ballot system 23:14 <+alanc> which I think is how we voted on bylaws last time, as part of a board election 23:15 <+Bart_Massey> OK. What this tells me, then, is that there's no real deadline tying any proposed Bylaws changes to XDC, which is good. 23:15 <+Bart_Massey> XDC can still be the Annual Meeting of the Board. 23:15 <+alanc> keithp: thanks, seems to work, copying docs into place now 23:15 <+Bart_Massey> But we are really supposed to hold an Annual Members Meeting every year. 23:15 <+Bart_Massey> (Whether we have business or not.) 23:16 <+Bart_Massey> There's some other interesting stuff, but I'll pack that into an email and send it later. 23:17 <+Bart_Massey> Just wanted everyone to know where I was with this stuff. 23:17 <+alanc> well, electing the board is always business for the annual meeting 23:17 <+Bart_Massey> When does everyone want to hold the Annual Meeting of Members? 23:17 <+alanc> we've just not been that formal about doing calling it a meeting instead of just an election 23:18 <+Bart_Massey> We are supposed to announce it 21 days in advance, and IMHO it would be wise to do it before elections. 23:18 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: I'm not so sure that under the current Bylaws the Election can count as the Annual Meeting of Members. Is that what we've been relying on in the past? 23:18 <+alanc> btw, there were already a couple e-mails on this in the "Bylaws Review" thread also starting Sunday evening 23:19 <+alanc> Bart_Massey: well, I think we've mostly ignored that in the past, I was just trying to hand wave us into compliance after the fact 23:20 <+Bart_Massey> Fair enough. :-) 23:20 <+Bart_Massey> I think the best plan is to come into compliance now and actually schedule a special Annual Meeting of Members on IRC. 23:20 * Bart_Massey s/special// 23:21 <+Bart_Massey> As the Bylaws are currently drafted, I don't think the Members can actually vote any business at the Meeting :-), but we can say we had one. 23:21 <+alanc> okay - I know some other open source groups do similar - have a channel open for a few days so that people can come & go as time zones/schedules allow 23:22 <+Bart_Massey> Thanks for the Bylaws Review thread, BTW. Sorry I'm missing so much email. 23:22 <+Bart_Massey> OK, I'll schedule it RSN and we can announce it. I'm guessing mid-August will be good? 23:22 <+Bart_Massey> (well, late August: 21 days notice) 23:23 <+Bart_Massey> Not hearing any objections, I'll work on that plan then. We'll try to get Bylaws changes together to be voted together with the next Election in January or February. 23:24 <+Bart_Massey> Let's take the rest of this to email, unless someone has specific things they think we need to talk about? 23:25 <agd5f> sounds good to me 23:25 <+alanc> +1 23:25 <agd5f> +1 23:26 <marcoz> +1 23:26 <+Bart_Massey> OK. I have no other business. Anyone? 23:26 <marcoz> EVoC 23:26 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Go 23:26 <marcoz> I'll type this up more formally and send to everyone, but here's summary: 23:26 <marcoz> Tom reports Blaz gets a pass 23:27 <marcoz> This is mid-point reviews 23:27 <marcoz> (the students are at their midpoints in there projects ) 23:27 <marcoz> Martin reports Supreet gets a pass 23:27 <marcoz> Jeremy just got back from his honeymoon so haven't gotten Jess' review yet; he doesn't get a mid-point payment though so not as urgent 23:27 <marcoz> Ashwin, however, has had some problems. 23:27 <marcoz> In the hospital with food poisoning for 2 weeks. 23:27 <+Bart_Massey> Ow. 23:28 <marcoz> plus problems with his university. apparently they didn't like him working on EVoC instead of getting a 'real' job. 23:28 <marcoz> so he's behind 23:28 <marcoz> mupuf: you there? 23:28 <marcoz> he's been offline a lot too; Martin reports he's been somewhat difficult to get ahold of. 23:28 <+Bart_Massey> Why does the university care / get to say? odd 23:28 <marcoz> connection problems are partly to blame 23:29 <marcoz> no idea. 23:29 <marcoz> I'm hoping mupuf is online 23:29 <+Bart_Massey> OK, it sounds like marcoz and mupuf and Ashwin need to sort this out. 23:29 <stukreit> I'm on the google forum, reading lots of debates on how to handle unforeseen issues with students. good stuff 23:29 <+Bart_Massey> I think the Board is going to be fine with anything that the Mentor and marcoz agree on. 23:30 <marcoz> ok. 2 of the students are doing well and get passes from their mentors 23:30 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: Yeah, they deal with far worse, and have way more bureaucracy in the process. 23:30 <+Bart_Massey> Not a lot, mind you, but way more. :-) 23:30 <marcoz> should I write it up officially before we approve payments to those two or ... ? 23:31 <+Bart_Massey> Thanks for the summary. Let us know if there's some way to help with Ashwin. 23:31 <marcoz> will do. 23:31 <+Bart_Massey> Move to approve payments to Blaz and Supreet 23:31 <mupuf> marcoz: yes 23:31 <mupuf> sorry, missed the begining 23:31 <marcoz> i propose pushing Ashwin's midpoint review back a couple weeks. 23:32 <+Bart_Massey> mupuf, marcoz: please hold a sec 23:32 <agd5f> Bart_Massey: +1 on approving Blaz and Supreet 23:32 <+Bart_Massey> Board: Can I get votes on the motion to approve payments? 23:32 <+Bart_Massey> agd5f: thanks 23:33 <stukreit> Someone please write in the payments amounts in this record.. 23:33 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Do you have the payment amounts handy? 23:33 <marcoz> USD2000 23:33 <+Bart_Massey> For both? 23:33 <marcoz> supreet definitely. 23:34 <marcoz> i'm looking for blaz to verify. I apparently didn't put it on that page 23:36 <stukreit> bart: yes, its $2000 per participant when they pass the midterm eval 23:36 <marcoz> blaz also USD2000 23:36 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz, stukreit: Thanks 23:36 <+Bart_Massey> So, we have a motion pending. Can we get three more +1s from the Board? 23:37 <stukreit> +1 23:37 <+alanc> +1 on approving USD2000 mid-term payments for Blaz & Supreet 23:37 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: ? 23:37 <marcoz> (I'd prefer not to vote on these. stay neutral.) 23:37 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: There's no reason for you not to vote on them, and keithp and others seem to be asleep :-) 23:37 <marcoz> (unless there's noone else.) 23:38 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: +1 from me :-) 23:38 <+Bart_Massey> There we are. 23:38 * keithp is multi-tasking 23:38 <+Bart_Massey> :-) 23:38 <+Bart_Massey> Motion is carried. 23:38 <stukreit> retroactively... do we want 25 words from each mentor re. midterm eval? 23:38 <marcoz> (I'd prefer not to vote because I"m the coordinator. maybe I'm weird.) 23:39 <stukreit> marcoz: see above 23:39 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Not "weird", but yeah, there's no reason not to vote, I think 23:39 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: That would be nice 23:39 <marcoz> i have 3 of the 4 of those evals. 23:39 <marcoz> just waiting on Jeremy. He was on his honeymoon 23:39 <+Bart_Massey> Move that future payments be authorized by the Board to be made without a vote of the Board, at the discretion of the Coordinator. 23:40 <+keithp> I'm ok with voting; makes sure we're all aware of progress 23:40 <stukreit> ok, then where will we read them? email or posted publicly (I assume email) 23:40 <marcoz> not sure I want that responsibility. I already stress about this stuff 23:40 <+Bart_Massey> OK, motion is withdrawn based on objections 23:40 <marcoz> stukreit: I can sned one at a time or in digest when I get Jess' from Jeremy. ? 23:40 <+Bart_Massey> If we keep getting EVoC students at this rate, it's going to get time-consuming, though :-) 23:40 <stukreit> marcoz: sounds like you're good for this role. we want someone who cares too much 23:41 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Send 'em as you get 'em, I think. 23:41 <marcoz> 1 vote for as I get them. anyone else? 23:41 <stukreit> m: I'd prefer to receive all in one doc. easier to track 23:41 <marcoz> stukreit: btw, we have another proposal in the works. ;) 23:41 <+Bart_Massey> I'm shocked. 23:42 <stukreit> i'll push a little harder then: It also encourages the last person to get r done 23:42 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: : pleasantly I hope. 23:42 <marcoz> stukreit: I'll ping jeremy 23:42 <+Bart_Massey> Sarcastically, mostly :-) 23:42 <marcheu> so this time can we require at least one patch in one of the fd.o repos before taking the students in? 23:42 <marcoz> lol 23:42 <+Bart_Massey> This program is pretty clearly taking off. 23:42 <marcheu> last time was too late, but this time is not too late right :) 23:42 <mupuf> marcheu: yeah, that would be a good thing :) 23:43 <marcoz> does the patch need to be accepted or just submitteed and in their queue/ML? 23:43 <marcheu> I'd say accepted, or rejected on unrelated grounds 23:43 <+Bart_Massey> marcheu: I think it should be either a patch or some other evidence of student readiness 23:43 <marcheu> yeah, but "one patch" is an easily defined entity 23:43 <+Bart_Massey> I don't see that we've had a problem with the actual coding of any of the students so far? 23:44 <marcheu> IMO it's more about commitment than coding 23:44 <stukreit> marcoz: do we have the name of the schools that each evoc'r attends? 23:44 <mupuf> Bart_Massey: not really, but some things take time. Sending a patch means the student has the right state of mind and understands what he is doing 23:44 <marcoz> stukreit: good question. 23:44 <+Bart_Massey> I just think that making people jump through arbitrary hoops is only a good idea if we have a lot of unready applicants. 23:44 <+Bart_Massey> \So far, I haven't seen that. 23:45 <marcoz> I think most of the students yes, possibly not all. I'll have to run that down. 23:45 <+Bart_Massey> Anyway, if the rest of the Board thinks that a patch requirement is a good thing, obviously I won't try to get in the way. 23:45 <stukreit> eg. ken philips communicates thru a gmail account. what's up with that? 23:45 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: Perhaps you haven't experience a modern University email system? :-) 23:45 <marcoz> you'd prefer @microsoft.com ? 23:46 <+Bart_Massey> But yeah, we definitely need to have a firm record of the student status of everybody. 23:46 <+Bart_Massey> If somebody not actually a student slipped by, it would be...bad. 23:46 <marcoz> i'll run down the unis and get that added to the info page 23:46 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Thanks 23:46 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: np 23:46 <marcheu> stukreit: yeah as the owner of a UC email account, I can explain why you wouldn't want to use it :) 23:47 <stukreit> explain it offline. but I am interested. 23:47 <mupuf> Could we discuss this EVoC program at the XDC? I already proposed a talk and I feel like we should define a little more what we expect and how we track progress and so on. 23:47 <+Bart_Massey> mupuf: Heck yes. 23:47 <mupuf> I am willing to prepare the framework of an eventual discussion 23:47 <mupuf> based on my RoE 23:48 <marcoz> The passing students get invites to XDC right? 23:48 <marcoz> and help with travel if needed. They have to present their project I believe. 23:48 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Absolutely. Apparently from the email I just saw we're not requiring it, but they're encouraged. 23:49 <marcoz> Bart_Massey et al. I'll officially invite Blaz and Supreet to XDC then? 23:49 <+Bart_Massey> Yes, unless anyone has an objection? 23:49 <+Bart_Massey> Yes. 23:49 <marcoz> How does reimbursement of travel expenses (and hotel) work? 23:50 <agd5f> no objections here 23:50 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: They submit an application for reimbursement (or imbursement, anyhow) to the Board, who votes it. 23:50 <+Bart_Massey> They are expected to be willing to fly cattle class and stay in reasonably-priced rooms :-) 23:51 <+Bart_Massey> The Board understands that travel from some places is way more expensive than from others. 23:51 <+Bart_Massey> Indeed, the Board is fully capable of using the web to find out how much travel costs should be. :-) 23:51 <marcoz> ;) 23:51 <+keithp> marcoz: *anyone* can come to xdc 23:52 <+Bart_Massey> And *anyone* can get travel expense help if they need it. 23:52 <+Bart_Massey> (and can make a reasonable case for it) 23:52 <mupuf> Bart_Massey: that's not what the wiki says 23:52 <+alanc> as I recall, we decided not to require students attend xdc because it overlaps with class schedules at some universities (like US schools on semester systems) 23:52 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: ahhhh, _that_ part I didn't know. 23:52 <+Bart_Massey> mupuf: What does it say? 23:52 <mupuf> Bart_Massey: you need to present something :) 23:53 <marcoz> definitely not a requirement, but an official invite give you warm fuzzies. ;) 23:53 <mupuf> Bart_Massey: curro isn't really looking forward to asking for funding because of this :D 23:53 <+Bart_Massey> mupuf: I definitely have things in mind 23:53 <+Bart_Massey> mupuf: Oh, wait nm 23:53 <+alanc> we can issue official invites to those who need them for visa purposes 23:54 <marcoz> keithp: so you're saying *anyone* reading this. anyone at all can come in September? *Everyone* is invited? (yes, I'm baiting the news rags.) 23:54 <+Bart_Massey> mupuf: Yeah, the normal case for travel funding is to present. 23:54 <+Bart_Massey> But it's really not very scary. I'm happy to talk to curro if you like :-) 23:54 <+Bart_Massey> We could put together some kind of panel or something for EVoC students if that reduced the social pressure... 23:54 <mupuf> Bart_Massey: no need to ;) He his checking his time schedule 23:55 <mupuf> many nouveau dev should come, that's quite an insentive to get even more of them :) 23:55 <+Bart_Massey> Anyway, we're running onto EOM. Any last-minute emergencies that can't wait for email or two weeks? 23:55 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: or just have them look at my presentation. that'll remove any pressure. ;) i set that bar soo low. haha 23:55 <marcoz> CFP 23:56 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: should I just send that to the board for review so we can get it out? 23:56 <marcoz> (very quick review) 23:56 <marcoz> also stukreit: any luck with Blaz payment? 23:56 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Heck yes. 23:56 <stukreit> i'm on another call... I was working on it today and belive I have all the data to make it work 23:56 <marcoz> what about Ashwin's mid-point? push back til next meeting? 23:57 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Work it out with mupuf. 23:57 <marcoz> stukreit: thanks! 23:57 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: consider it done 23:57 <+Bart_Massey> OK, move to adjourn. 23:57 <agd5f> also, not the change the subject, but with all the HSBC news in the last fews days, I feel like we should look for a new bank. 23:57 <stukreit> so, yeah. my session will timeout but then I'll get back in and try to push it. ... when my stack shortens 23:57 <stukreit> me too 23:57 <+alanc> which we'd already discussed doing anyway 23:57 <stukreit> ] 23:57 <+alanc> back when it was less trendy 23:58 <+alanc> http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/pub78Search.do?ein1=26-4691413&names=&city=&state=All...&country=US&deductibility=all&dispatchMethod=searchCharities&submitName=Search 23:58 <+alanc> we are officially listed on the IRS charity list now 23:58 <+Bart_Massey> keithp, stukreit, alanc: Please discuss and figure out what we should do about banking RSN? 23:58 <+Bart_Massey> (And whoever. I just know those three have been involved in the past.) 23:59 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: with stukreit acting as treasurer for an extended period, I'd say he should pick something he can get to reasonably easily. I know it's possible to do everything over the phone, at least in theory, sometimes just showing up and not leaving is powerful 00:00 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: Complete agreed. Point is, come to the Board with a recommendation and we'll all enthusiastically +1 it, I suspect 00:00 <+alanc> http://www.x.org/foundation/ exists now, will be polished up and ready to announce shortly 00:00 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: THanks huge. And thanks much to all! 00:00 <+keithp> ok, I've got another mtg to get to anyways 00:00 <+keithp> have fun guys 00:00 <+Bart_Massey> I'm going to call this mtg on time. Talk to you all soon!