Date is 2012-08-16, times are UTC+02.

22:59 <marcoz> howdy all
22:59 <+Bart_Massey> howdy
22:59 <stukreit> hey hey
23:00 <agd5f> hi
23:00 <+emmes> hey
23:01 <+Bart_Massey> give it a minute or two more to see who else shows?
23:03 <+Bart_Massey> OK, let's get started...
23:03 <+Bart_Massey> We'll try to take things in rough order of shortest-longest
23:03 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: Delaware tax payments?
23:03 <stukreit> ok, yeah, I banged on it this morning and got er done.
23:03 <+Bart_Massey> Thanks!
23:04 <+Bart_Massey> We might want to just pay ahead a year. :-)
23:04 <stukreit> for the record, its a filing fee, not a tax payment.
23:04 <+Bart_Massey> Ah.
23:04 <stukreit> Now that I am getting the mail and email reminders, I can interact with directly and do this.
23:05 <stukreit> the lost notice had gone to sflc.
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> excellent
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> Next item: XDC
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> Are things looking reasonable there? Any issues?
23:06 <+emmes> we had only one proposal, and that looks good
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> Also: Has anyone talked to Intel or others about funding dinner as per usual?
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: One proposal is not very many :-)
23:06 <+emmes> question is whether we need a formal publication; probably have to ask
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> Do we need to do something special to get people to talk at this one?
23:06 <marcoz> we have 2 students (planning/wanting) to come, possibly a 3rd
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: If they need it, it's easy to do.
23:07 <+emmes> we do have a number of talks, but only one in the formal process
23:07 <stukreit> i'm getting pushback from management on whether I can travel, so I should go for broke and ask them to buy the dinner.
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> Oh, OK.
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: would be great if they felt like doing it
23:07 <+emmes> still we could require a little advertizing ;) for talks, that is
23:07  * alanc is partially here (also in an in-person meeting that's taking most of my cycles)
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> Yeah, want to make sure we have a reasonable slate of talks.
23:08 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: thanks for multitasking
23:08 <marcoz> our wiki is down?  i was looking up the deadline for CFP submission.  that was yesterday right?
23:08 <+emmes> we also had one proposed talk, if funding is possible. it's inside germany, so no big costs
23:08 <marcoz> we do have one formal paper.
23:08 <+emmes> marcoz: yes
23:09 <marcoz> (emmes: i see you mentioend the paper above. I'm behind in my reading.)
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> OK, so we have 1 paper, a few talks, some approved funding reqs, one pending funding req.
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> Who is taking responsibility for doing the overall conference scheduling/agenda?
23:10 <+emmes> i think egbert wanted to be in the loop
23:10 <marcoz> also, Egbert's email about students and hotel reimbursement
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: had missed this email
23:11 <alanc> the website has been crashing a lot lately so Tollef put in a caching front end, which doesn't seem to be helping, just changing the errors
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> Move to have directly pay students hotel bills at the conference hotel
23:12 <stukreit> there has to be a safeguard re. no-show
23:12 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: does have a credit card or someone does it and gets reimbursed?
23:12 <alanc> I thought stu had a debit card on our checking account
23:12 <stukreit> we reimburse.
23:12 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: is it easy for to get a card?
23:13 <stukreit> i'd like to make a point here about this
23:13 <+emmes> the issue with reimbursing is that fees for american cheques are pretty high here. and elsewhere (no idea about india, but it certainly isn't cheaper).
23:13 <stukreit> there's a difference between someone fronting the money for their trip, then getting reimbursed vs just showing up
23:14 <stukreit> and I realize that we have a wider than usual socioeconomic spectrum, I don't have an answer about that part
23:15 <stukreit> and the cost of txfering money is roughly the same whether I pay an individual vs a hotel
23:15 <stukreit> it is probably easier to pay a hotel because its a business, but I'm not counting that as +/-
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: more to say?
23:17 <stukreit> I don't want to bludgeon it, but ok, I'll make my point
23:18 <stukreit> paying ahead for a visitor gives them less incentive to follow through and show up than if they are reimbursed later.
23:19 <marcoz> +1
23:19 <+emmes> i don't think anybody talked about paying up front
23:19 <stukreit> If they simply don't have enough $$, well, they'd have to really insist that. And if they've earned GSOC or EVOC money, then they must be flush.
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> Oh yeah, "flush" :-) :-)
23:20 <+emmes> rather during the stay showing up at the hotel and just paying (at the end of the conference). i think that was the idea.
23:21 <stukreit> um, that would be new process, and it depends on me (current treasurer, yikes) being present. 
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> Anyway, I don't feel too strongly about any of this. The only point I'd make is that X.Org's history of prompt reimbursement is *terrible*. Until we've established more credibility on that score, I'd prefer any plan that doesn't require broke students to rely on us. :-)
23:21 <stukreit> I have less than 90% certainty of being there in sept. 
23:21 <+emmes> i don't have a strong opinion here, just trying to make sure we speak about the same process
23:22 <stukreit> yes, I've had trouble txfering. wire txfer has been an improvement. Also, reimbursement on the spot as in portland last year was great.
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> I'm happy to pay the student hotels on my credit card while I'm in Nuremberg and have X.Org reimburse me later.
23:22 <+emmes> in case you're not in NBG, what would the process be in the end (in any case)?
23:23 <+emmes> Bart_Massey: that's one nice idea :)
23:23 <agd5f> I thought normally the students would email stukreit their receipts and he's send them a check/transfer, etc.
23:23 <stukreit> then it would have to be by wire or paper check. at least we could get started on the last day of the conference.
23:23 <agd5f> *he'd
23:23 <+emmes> i think reimbursing inside the US is easier
23:23 <stukreit> agd5f: yes, that's what we were doing.
23:23 <stukreit> emmes: yes, reimbursing outside the US is harder.
23:24 <+emmes> ok, something to decide on site then. thanks for the offer, Bart!
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> NP.
23:24 <stukreit> I'll take suggestions on intl money txferring. we've known for 10 years that intl banking sucks and no bank is our friend
23:24 <+emmes> over sea banking, that is ;-)) SCNR
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> OK, any other XDC things we need to do?
23:25 <marcoz> book sprint?
23:25 <+emmes> how about the one pending funding proposal?
23:25 <+emmes> yours first :)
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> Do we still have one pending?
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> I thought we were all caught up?
23:26 <marcoz> Lucas Stach 
23:26 <+emmes> there's one from Lucas Stach
23:27 <+emmes> he would talk about nvidia's tegra platform
23:27 <marcoz> mupuf?
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> Found it. Sorry; someday I
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> will learn to do email
23:27 <+emmes> expenses would be fuel (2x350km) and hotel
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> I
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> I'd actually prefer to discuss this one offline.
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> I think we need to get input from some outside people.
23:28 <+emmes> ok
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> Why don't we vote it by email in the next few days.
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> OK, book sprint. Whatever the opposite of a plan coming together is, so far we seem to be there... :-)
23:29 <+emmes> i won't be around for 2 weeks beginning on 25th, just for info
23:29 <+emmes> room is reserved.
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: ok. we'll try to do it sooner rather than later.
23:30 <marcoz> we have 3 1/2 people for the book sprint.
23:30 <marcoz> I will be in Nuremberg regardless and happy to work with people on it. Otherwise I'll be practicing my rusty German with locals
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> I don't think we are going to be able to wait too many more days to decide whether it will happen.
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> I'm inclined to can it at this point, on the grounds that (a) it's too few people, and (b) I have no experience with a book spring for editing an existing book (which seems to be where we are headed).
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> But I don't feel strongly. I will likely book to be there if it is held, as long as I find out in the next few days.
23:33 <marcoz> I have an email ready to spam all the MLs.  if we wanna give it until Monday?
23:34 <marcoz> doubt we'll get many, but it'll give phoronix more material to beat on us. ;)
23:34 <+Bart_Massey> What do other people think?
23:34 <+emmes> i'm flexible
23:35 <agd5f> I'm ok with whatever you all want to do
23:35 <marcoz> we can always fall back and just help polish marcheu's.     
23:35 <marcoz> agd5f: you coming?
23:35 <+emmes> but i won't be able to contribute much - i'll be around for keeping the room open, talking about food and beer places, but i'm otherwise swamped
23:35 <agd5f> marcoz: can't make it this time
23:36 <marcoz> if no objections: I'll spam all the MLs I can think of giving folksuntil Monday.
23:37 <+Bart_Massey> I have no objections: hopefully you won't just get a bunch of enthusiastic cranks :-)
23:37 <marcoz> absolute worst case, I'm there in that room by myself, annoying emmes, and drinking while working on documentation
23:38 <+Bart_Massey> OK. We'll leave it for another few days, then. I'd really like to decide by a week from today whether this thing is official or unofficial, though.
23:38 <+Bart_Massey> Any last comments on that?
23:38 <+emmes> sounds like a plan. if wheather is good we could even walk a few meters and sit by the river. and you're allowed to drink in public in good ol' Germany :-P
23:39 <marcoz> emmes: sweet. i'm so there
23:39 <+Bart_Massey> Excellent. 
23:39 <+Bart_Massey> The last agenda item I had was about the Bylaws, but I think it can wait until next meeting. Any other business we need to discuss?
23:40 <+Bart_Massey> OK. Let's adjourn, then. Bye all!
23:40 <+emmes> bye +1
23:40 <marcoz> +1
23:41 <stukreit> byr