Date is 2012-10-18, times are UTC+02.h The log had to to be altered, because htt.p links are not allowed due to antispam rules.

23:02 <+Bart_Massey> Hey all
23:03 <+Bart_Massey> Anyone here yet?
23:03 <agd5f> Bart_Massey: keithp, marcoz, and me
23:03 <+Bart_Massey> cool.
23:04 <+Bart_Massey> let's get started. 
23:04 <+Bart_Massey> First of all, there's some EVoC things to discuss...
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> keithp and I have been wondering about what an "EVoC for women" would look like.
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> We'd like to increase the participation of women developers above the current apparent 0%
23:06 <marcoz> what are you ideas? (note, I'm all in favor )
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> Our current plan is to talk to Karen Sandler about Gnome's women-focused efforts, and try to put together something a little different than the standard EVoC
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> In particular, we'd like to see something a little more mentor-driven and in smaller chunks.
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> (Or at least I would.)
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> But I think we need to talk to some people and see what ideas they have.
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> Just thought the Board should be aware of it.
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> Next is infrastructure.
23:07 <agd5f> sounds good to me
23:08 <+Bart_Massey> keithp has graciously offered the assistance of fd.o in transitioning our wiki, replacing the aging and awful members.x, and helping to set up a merchant site for donations
23:08 <+Bart_Massey> I'm assuming that's OK with everyone here?
23:08 <marcoz> wiki -> ikiwiki (note; i'm not trying to start a religious war, just curious)
23:08 <stukreit> hi, sorry I'm late. was with bossman
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: It's cool. We have a lot of positive experience with iki.
23:09 <+keithp> marcoz: yeah, that's the obvious choice
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> And we've done transitions of large wikis from moin to iki before
23:09 <+keithp> makes monitoring changes really easy too (git fetch, gitk, git revert, git push)
23:09 <stukreit> bart: send receipts..
23:09 <agd5f> +1 from me
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: dammit you're right. after this meeting.
23:10 <marcoz> it can't be worse than moinmoin. (famous last words. lol)   +1 from me.
23:10 <stukreit> oh, need a vote? +1
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> 'k. I'm not sure we need a vote, but if there's dissent I'd like to hear it now :-)
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> Third topic: fundraising
23:12 <+Bart_Massey> One of the reasons that I want a merchant infrastructure up quickly is that agd5f has pointed out that we need to raise 10% of our fund intake from individual donations
23:12 <stukreit> i missed an opportunity to go to a "fundraising for o.s. projects" last week, but I'll contact josh berkus separately and get some knowledge from him
23:12 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: that would be awesome
23:12 <+Bart_Massey> For this year, it's not clear that we took in any money that the IRS would count, so I think we're good :-)
23:12 <stukreit> plz reserve awesome for things delivered, not promised
23:12 <+Bart_Massey> I think "would be awesome" is sufficient :-)
23:12 <stukreit> I have not made a deposit in.. forever
23:13 <stukreit> aha, subjunctive
23:13 <+Bart_Massey> But keithp is already making some progress toward next year's fundraising
23:13 <+Bart_Massey> In particular, we can expect some money from Intel most likely if we do XDC in Portland.
23:13 <+Bart_Massey> So we need to be set up to get some money from just folks.
23:14 <+Bart_Massey> Along those lines: I'd like to go ahead and commission a new logo. 
23:14 <+keithp> SPI gets regular contributions through a fairly ugly web page; cloning that would be easy
23:14 <marcoz> do donations from board members count as individual donations? (just curious)
23:14 <+Bart_Massey> It looks like it would cost us about $200-$300
23:14 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: yes
23:14 <+Bart_Massey> Assuming they delivered something we liked
23:15 <+Bart_Massey> I would then like to get a bunch of reasonable-quality t-shirts made, as well as some other merch
23:15 <+Bart_Massey> I've had some pushback on this in the past, so let's discuss...
23:15 <stukreit> when an entity pays our vendor directly (eg. conf room, beer) isn't it a non-issue to our accounting?
23:15 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: I think it mostly depends on whether they're writing off the payment. But we should ask a tax lawyer.
23:16 <+Bart_Massey> I'd also like to pay the several hundred dollars it costs to register our shiny new logo as a US trademark
23:16 <stukreit> well, in anycase, I ack we must work on enabling collection of 10% small payers.
23:16 <marcoz> I'm in favor of new logo, and the t-shirt and other schwag.   I'd also like to hear the pushback.  I poked at that ~2 yrs ago and it didnt' go anywhere. 
23:17 <+emmes> hey all
23:17 <+emmes> sorry for being late
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> Once we're set up to take individual donations, I suspect it will be easy to get people to go there just by explaining the situation. Could be wrong
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: np; thanks for coming
23:18 <marcoz> I'm in favor of new logo, and the t-shirt and other schwag.   I'd also like to hear the pushback.  I poked at that ~2 yrs ago and it didnt' go anywhere. 
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> So does anyone have any objections to this plan of mine?
23:18 <+keithp> yeah, we've had less than optimal experience contracting out for graphic design in the past
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: I plan to use a contest site.
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> That's what we used for Linux Plumbers, and it worked out really well
23:18 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: I agree; as I said, SPI gets a regular stream of small contributions through their web interface
23:19 <+Bart_Massey> The best feature of the contest approach is if you don't find something usable you just don't pay
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> So I'll put this in the form of a motion, and lets vote: I move to develop logo stuff as outlined above.
23:20 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: are there any legal issues with logos from those contest sites?
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: No. You buy the rights from the creator when you award them the prize.
23:21 <agd5f> you'd need fine print when entering the contest
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> All of that is handled by the site itself.
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> You end up with assignment of the copyright.
23:21 <marcoz> any worries about artist's ripping off other logos, tweaking and submitting? would we be absolved from that (question for lawyer?)
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: I think it would be similar to the worries if we hired a designer.
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> As long as we weren't complicit, the worst that could happen is to be C&D'ed.
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> And I don't think that's very likely.
23:23 <stukreit> isn't there a way to search for image plagiarism the way you can search for writing plagiarism?
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> IDK. I think we might be overthinking this; like I say, I've seen uniformly happy reports from other folks who've used this approach, and have been happy with the one time I watched it in person.
23:25 <+emmes> i don't see any issues with that. i think we all agree that the current logo is - say - less than optimal.
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> Or maybe we should just use Neko the Kitty from the XCB logo :-)
23:25 <marcoz> I'm just being anal.  I don't want someon suing us for the $20 we have in our account. haha
23:26 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: One of the reasons we've tried to spend down the account is to be less of a target for opportunistic legal action
23:26 <marcoz> I can help with the money spending. :)
23:26 <+Bart_Massey> emmes: I'm also proposing to actually bother to US trademark our logo this time around...
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> So can I get some +1s or -1s or whatever?
23:27 <agd5f> +1
23:27 <marcoz> +1
23:27 <stukreit> +1
23:28 <+keithp> +1
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> motion is carried. i'll let you know as things progress.
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> last item: I'm assuming XDC 2013 Portland OR USA. Anyone (esp keithp) want to try to do anything different?
23:29 <+keithp> Ian said he'd be willing to organize
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> Excellent
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> We will help of course
23:30 <+Bart_Massey> Do we need to look for alternate proposals, or shall we just announce it now?
23:31 <agd5f> maybe email the list and send out an RFP?
23:31 <stukreit> our arms could be twisted to do on in norcal, but it sounds like the PDX folks have it covered.
23:31 <+Bart_Massey> This is why I wanted the discussion :-)
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> I'm good with whatever, but we should probably figure it out in the next month or so, at least as far as location and month
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> I want to do better publicity this year, as so many have suggested
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> Does somebody want to take this as an action item?
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> professional superhero
23:33 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: I'll work with Ian to firm up the proposal
23:34 <+emmes> for the notion: +1 from me as well (line is lagging here)
23:34 <agd5f> I can send out an RFP email if folks want a formal solicitation process
23:34 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: OK.
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> I'm not sure whether we need an RFP, but we've been moving in that direction.
23:35 <+emmes> Ian for teh win!
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> I guess whatever the Board thinks on that one is good by me.
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> I don't see any harm in opening the process up.
23:36 <+Bart_Massey> So yeah, agd5f, +1 for you sending an RFP. Informal is probably better than formal; "Does someone want to host XDC 2013?"
23:36 <+keithp> agreed
23:36 <+emmes> +1
23:37 <agd5f> Bart_Massey: yeah, that's my thought as well
23:37 <agd5f> how many people were at the last XDC?
23:37 <marcoz> is it too early to discuss booksprint for next year? IE: do we want one?
23:37 <stukreit> bart: there was a request for the updated drm doc. to be posted. is it available?
23:37 <+Bart_Massey> agd5f: Good question; I want to say around 50?
23:38 <+emmes> agd5f: about 55
23:38 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: I didn't really contribute to that one; I was busy working on the previous one :-)
23:38 <+emmes> difficult to tell; quite a few from SuSE were there who were not registered. but i think this was exceptional due to the location.
23:38 <agd5f> ok.  I'll say ~50-60 in the email
23:38 <+Bart_Massey> It may be a bit bigger if we do the publicity right.
23:39 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: There's a repo somewhere people can clone, but I didn't catch exactly where.
23:39 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Can you remember?
23:39 <marcoz> the repo?  Martin's or marcheaus?
23:40 <+Bart_Massey> martin's, that has the stuff from the sprint in it
23:40 <marcoz>
23:40 <+Bart_Massey> I thought the in-person book sprint was a grand experiment, but kind of fail; having a bunch of pre-written stuff but not the author made it really hard to work on
23:41 <+Bart_Massey> I think that if we try again next year, we need more people and better advance planning
23:41 <mupuf> Bart_Massey: agreed
23:41 <+Bart_Massey> In particular more people, esp more people knowledgable about whatever we're going to write about.
23:42 <stukreit> if you want, take this offline and let the board business end. But I would like someone to get back to me, I will read (and use) the doc immediately.
23:42 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: Just clone the repo marcoz mentioned above, and you should have what we have
23:42 <mupuf> Bart_Massey: this repo isn't public
23:42 <marcoz> ok. i'll ping people offline.  i still want docs but Bart's right, the right people need to be there.
23:42 <+Bart_Massey> mupuf: Why is it private?
23:43 <+Bart_Massey> Did marcheu want to keep it that way?
23:43 <+Bart_Massey> I guess we did talk about licensing issues
23:43 <+Bart_Massey> Someone should resolve this so we can make the result public
23:43 <mupuf> Bart_Massey: just because I don't know how to do it ... yet
23:43 <mupuf> Bart_Massey: let me look into it
23:43 <+Bart_Massey> mupuf: Oh, OK. You'll figure it out. If you want us to host it we can
23:44 <marcheu> ah I should just merge it... I keep forgetting
23:44 <+Bart_Massey> mupuf: In the meantime, send stukreit a copy please :-)
23:44 <+Bart_Massey> marcheu: Cool!
23:44 <marcheu> work has been crazy lately
23:44 <marcheu> let me do it
23:44 <+Bart_Massey> tx
23:44 <stukreit> oh, yes please!
23:44 <marcoz> yay!
23:44 <mupuf> yeah, that would be easier
23:45 <marcheu> done!
23:45 <mupuf> and I won't need to add the git daemon on my server :)
23:45 <marcheu> I have to do some fixups
23:45 <+Bart_Massey> Nice.
23:45 <marcheu> but I'll put them as followup commits later
23:45 <mupuf> marcheu: thanks :)
23:45 <+Bart_Massey> move to adjourn
23:45 <stukreit> +1
23:45 <marcoz> 1 more thing.
23:45 <marcoz> supreet's LCA and reimbursement
23:45 <+Bart_Massey> Oh, ok motion withdrawn
23:46 <+Bart_Massey> I'm not sure this should be a public discussion, though; we might want to resolve it on the email list?
23:47 <+Bart_Massey> let me try that again. move to resolve supreet's thing via email, and adjourn
23:47 <agd5f> +1
23:47 <+Bart_Massey> we're out of time anyhow
23:47 <stukreit> +1
23:48 <+emmes> +1
23:49 <marcoz> (abstain)
23:49 <stukreit> ? +0 ?
23:49 <+keithp> +1
23:49 <+Bart_Massey> Thanks everyone! Catch you in a couple weeks!