Date is 2013-01-24, times are UTC+01.

22:55 <+keithp> I'm here too
22:55 <+Bart_Massey> Howdy!
22:55 <agd5f> hi
22:56 <+anholt> hey
22:56 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: So I found those beading containers 30/$10 on
22:56 <+keithp> nice
22:57 <+Bart_Massey> Ordered three sets; will now probably go down and buy the one at Michael's to get the tray as well.
22:59 <+Bart_Massey> OK, there's really only one big agenda item today: elections. We need to get these going by the end of the month, which means that the official process needs to start before the next Board Meeting.
23:00 <+Bart_Massey> anholt: What's the state of the software at this point?
23:00 <stukreit> hya
23:00 <+Bart_Massey> Greetings!
23:00 <+Bart_Massey> Elections!
23:01 <marcoz> hi all
23:02 <+Bart_Massey> OK... I'm looking at the Board list right now and realizing that anholt is up for election this cycle anyway, so...
23:03 <+Bart_Massey> in spite of his generous offer, he probably shouldn't be Election Chair anyhow.
23:03 <+Bart_Massey> I think?
23:03 <+Bart_Massey> Which four have terms up this January?
23:04 <+Bart_Massey> Is it anholt, alanc stukreit and myself?
23:04 <+Bart_Massey> I think?
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> the whole "term ends 2012" thing is a little confusing; I assume that this election is for those people?
23:05 <+alanc> that's what says
23:05 <+alanc> yes, our "term ends" thing got messy when our elections slipped from end of the year to start of the next one
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> so the "term ends 2013" people are the ones up next year? OK.
23:05 <+Bart_Massey> Yeah.
23:05 <+keithp> Bart_Massey: anholt was chatting with tolef this morning about fixing the site
23:06 <+alanc> so the election committee should be marcoz, emmes, agd5f & keithp
23:06 <+Bart_Massey> Right
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> and one of those needs to step up to chair it, which in practice has historically meant doing most of the work :-( :-(
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: I think it's great for anholt to continue to work on geting members.
23:07 <+Bart_Massey> to work
23:08 <+Bart_Massey> as we've done that in the past
23:08 <+Bart_Massey> but we need somebody not up for election to run the elections
23:08 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: IMHO you'd be a great choice, if you were willing...
23:08 <+keithp> afaik, anholt volunteered to run them, is he actually up for election?
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> keithp: unless he's choosing not to run again, yes
23:09 <+Bart_Massey> at least according to the wiki, which probably knows more about it than I do :-(
23:10 <marcoz> what all's involved? 
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> Issue a call for candidates, gather candidate statements and publish them, issue an election announcement
23:10 <+Bart_Massey> that's about it
23:11 <+Bart_Massey> we have good detailed documentation on the process, with a checklist
23:11 <agd5f> setting up the election on the website and sending a few emails.  I did it last time I was on the election committee
23:12 <marcoz> there a task list of something that people used in the past?  I don't want to be as disorganized as I was on the booksprint
23:12 <+Bart_Massey> You'll want anholt or somebody to deal with the website for the most part, since it's...not pretty
23:12 <+Bart_Massey> marcoz: Yes, hard as it is to believe for us, we have a checklist and good documentation
23:12 <+alanc> the ElectionCommittee page in the board wiki has the details if you can remember your login to it
23:12 <+alanc> a simple 17-step process
23:12 <marcoz> heh
23:13 <marcoz> Bart_Massey: umm yea, who do I contact for password reset?
23:13 <+Bart_Massey> Probably anholt
23:13 <+Bart_Massey> What's the board wiki URL again?
23:14 <+Bart_Massey> sitewranglers would also probably work
23:14 <+alanc> just mailed the list with the URL, wasn't sure if you wanted the private wiki URL in the meeting log
23:14 <+Bart_Massey> OK thanks
23:15 <+Bart_Massey> So are we set to get the Call for Candidates out next calendar week?
23:16 <+alanc> are we going to overlap it with the call for membership applications?
23:16 <+Bart_Massey> Oh yeah, we need to worry about that too, don't we
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> Yes, all candidates need to be Members, so this is a good time to invite people to be members.
23:17 <+alanc> anholt had also wanted to look into expiring people who haven't voted in years, if he could find the scripts for that from last time, so we don't come as close to missing quorum as we did last year
23:17 <agd5f> anholt wanted to do a renew pass first
23:17 <+Bart_Massey> Somebody want to take the onus of filtering the recent xorg-devel and the like and invitiing those folks to apply/renew?
23:17 <agd5f> since we barely made quorum last time since the code to expire members is commented out
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> And yes, we should extend a general invite to renew if appropriate to the existing members
23:18 <+alanc> also I guess we need to decide if we're proposing bylaw changes for this election soon
23:18 <agd5f> basically expire all the people who haven't renewed in the last year and ask the membership to renew
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> I don't think the Bylaws changes are coupled to the election meeting?
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> I think we actually need a separate meeting for those.
23:18 <+Bart_Massey> Let me check the Bylaws again.
23:18 <+alanc> I thought they had to go through the election process so it was easier to do with the election than separately
23:20 <+anholt> sorry for missing a bit -- had to move rooms.  were there elections questions?
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> Lots and lots :-)
23:20 <+Bart_Massey> anholt: Are you running for re-election this year?
23:21 <+anholt> I don't think so -- I thought I was running the election committee this year.
23:21 <+alanc> says your term is up though
23:21 <+Bart_Massey> anholt: You are up this year if you want to run again, in which case you probably shouldn't run the election committee :-)
23:22 <+anholt> whoops.
23:22 <+anholt> sounds like I don't have to run an election!
23:22 <+Bart_Massey> OK, I was wrong: any vote of 2/3 of the membership appears to be sufficient to change the Bylaws
23:23 <+Bart_Massey> So if we want to overlap Bylaws changes with the Board election, we'd have to do it right quick
23:23 <+anholt> elections are hard enough to organize, I'd recommend keeping it separate.
23:24 <+Bart_Massey> I'd agree, but I think politically it will potentially be easier to pass our changes during a Board Election maybe. I'd say we work on the Bylaws changes this year and put them up during next year's election?
23:24 <+anholt> that sounds reasonable
23:25 <agd5f> anholt: can you still finish the renewal stuff before you step aside?
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> I don't think there's any conflict between the renewal stuff and the elections
23:25 <+anholt> absolutely -- I think I've got that figured out, so if the real elections committee wants it to happen, I'll push the button.
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> they are notionally separate activities
23:25 <+Bart_Massey> even if they will help the election process
23:25 <+anholt> the renewal stuff is supposedly automatic if we hadn't misplaced a cronjob.
23:26 <+Bart_Massey> I move that anholt be empowered to do what is necessary in the renewal process. +1s from the Board?
23:26 <marcoz> +1
23:26 <agd5f> +1
23:27 <+alanc> +1
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> Opposed?
23:27 <stukreit> +1
23:27 <+Bart_Massey> Thank you anholt!
23:27 <+anholt> on the topic of elections, I'm feeling out mithrandir for interest in building us a better elections site.  I've sent him a rough spec and he's thinking about it.
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> anholt: that's awesome; let us know how we can help
23:28 <agd5f> sweet!
23:28 <+alanc> I'm also good with him continuing to handle incoming member applications as we poke people to join in time for the elections
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> So marcoz, are you willing to step up as Elections Chair?
23:28 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: of course
23:29 <marcoz> yes
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> Thanks!
23:29 <+Bart_Massey> OK, so ideally we get the membership stuff and the call for Candidates out by the end of next week, then proceed from there. Sound good to everyone?
23:30 <marcoz> works for me
23:30 <agd5f> anholt: I'd say go ahead and hit the button on the renewal
23:30 <+anholt> will do
23:31 <+Bart_Massey> OK, I think that's enough for one meeting. Anybody have other urgent business?
23:31 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: You still need to do a Treasurer's Report, and I need to do a report as well. These should happen before the Call for Candidates, so hopefully this week or early next?
23:32 <+alanc> not urgent, but did we ever get any part of the book sprint output posted so others can see?   still get occasional questions about it in various forums
23:32 <+Bart_Massey> It's urgent, and I've mostly failed.
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> It's available, but not in any good place: just in my account on people
23:33 <+alanc> well, not as urgent as the election stuff
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> I think the other book sprint output is available somewhere too, but we need to get them in a well-known place and figure out how to finish at least hte first one into something that is ready for general publication
23:33 <+Bart_Massey> Let's tackle that topic at the next meeting?
23:33 <+anholt> marcoz: I've updated the elections@ list, haven't hit the mysql.  you've got the wiki page for the election?
23:34 <+alanc> okay
23:34 <marcoz> no, what is?
23:34 <+anholt>
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> LOL oh well :-)
23:35 <marcoz> thanks! now I just need to remember my pasword
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> Somebody kick stukreit about hte Treasurer's Report and we'll call it good.
23:35 <+Bart_Massey> Move to adjourn
23:36 <marcoz> +1
23:36 <agd5f> +1
23:36 <+anholt> +1
23:36 <+keithp> +1
23:36 <+alanc> +1
23:36 <+Bart_Massey> See you all next week!