Proposed Changes for X11R7.1
Following the X11R6.9/X11R7 release, we plan to have roll-up (katamari) releases of the modular tree at regular 6 month intervals. However, since there were several significant changes that have been held off until after the 6.9/7.0 release for various reasons, we plan a shorter release cycle for X11R7.1 of about 4 months. Before the X11R7 release is shipped, the release manager will post the X11R7.1 schedule. Adam Jackson proposed a 7.1 release plan shortly after the 7.0 release.
Below is a list of the features we expected to add to the X11R7.1 release. Unfortunately, many of them were not completed in time, so are now on the list for ChangesForX11R72.
Support for additional platforms not completed in X11R7
Make MAXSCREENS run-time configurable bug 3876
Make MAXFORMATS run-time configurable bug 3769
Fix PCI domain support bug 3829
- Replace XSecurity with XACE and friends
Remove built-in keyboard driver bug 890
- Replace default mode list with GTF and CVT generator algorithms
command line CVT generator is already sitting at bug 5153
- Drop xf86 loader mechanism, lift libdl-based loader to DIX layer
- Re-work pScrn so that a single instance of the driver can handle multiple crtcs (maybe longer term R7.2/7.3?)
- Make the Xinerama extension handle more than just X screens on the backend so that "non-standard" multi-head implementations like mergedfb and Windows, OSX, etc. multihead can be handled with the standard Xinerama extension instead of custom imlementations (like the sis and radeon mergedfb's pseudo-xinerama and the darwin X xinerama stuff). (maybe longer term R7.2/7.3?)
- Fix Mesa interface such that libGLcore (or its moral equivalent) can be built from Mesa instead of needing source linking hacks.
Clean up moronic #define damage (XFree86Server, FUNCPROTO, etc.)
- More deprecation: LBX, etc.
Please add other proposed changes to the list above as you think of them.