Email: <eich AT SPAMFREE freedesktop DOT org>
X.Org Board Elections
I've been involved in the development of the X Window System since 1995.
I helped bootstrapping the X.Org Foundation. In the past two years I served on the Board of Directors of the X.Org Foundation. There I helped to ensure that the Boards focuses as an overseer on organizational issues and abstained from undue involvement in technical matters.
I was involved in drafting in our new By-Laws and Membership Agreement and I drafted the 2006 budget.
My strong focus rests in development. As a Board Member I see my most important duty to support our community of contributors and bring its issues to the attention of the Board.
A number of issues need to be addressed urgently:
- Create a Membership Committee to promptly deal with reviewing and accepting Membership applications thru an open process.
Establish a sponsorship program
This involves identifying funding opportunities and budget for them:
- Event Funding
- Set up travel fund program for X related events and coordinate with event organizers.
- Individual funding
- Set up Budget and policies to sponsor travel for X-related presentations
- Budget for and develop polices for sponsorship of individual contributors to attend meetings relavant to their area of contribution.
- Determine if and in which marketing activeties X.Org should be involved in and what their goals and intended target audiences are. From this develop a policy to fund such events.
- Event Funding
- Put X.Org server infrastructure fully in place:
- Installation of the donated machines from SUN.
- Identify services that can be shared with freedesktop.org.
- Establish a backup and mirroring system for the freedesktop.org infrastructure.
- Make sure that the administrational workload can be dealt with effectivly.