X.Org User FAQ
- If you have problems getting X to start please make sure you have configured your X using one of the available configuration tools. If you are uncertain you did please check the ConfigurationHelp before you read any further.
- You can find driver related information in the KnowledgeBase.
- If you are using a version of X.Org shipped by a distribution you should check there DistroFAQList, too, before you report an error.
- If you cannot find an answer to your problem here feel free to subscribe to our SupportMailingList. Please follow the instructions given there on how to post a support question.
- X server information is usually logged in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, which can be consulted for errors or warnings if the server does not function as expected.
- If you want to add information don't add it to this page. Try to find a category it belongs to. If you cannot find any that fits feel free to create a new one on this page.
hay guys why do u still hav network transparency dont you know its making everyfing slow
Network transparency is actually not the problem: pretty much all inter-process communication uses local UNIX sockets and shared memory, which is ... exactly what X uses! Shocked.
A lot of the problems with X are related to round trips: many events that X sends to clients are actually just prompts for clients to send another request, block, and wait for a reply actually containing the information you need. In turn, those requests will probably get stuck behind rendering requests from other clients, adding huge amounts of latency. Also, many operations look something like this: request from client A -> event sent to client B -> request sent from client B -> reply sent to client B -> request sent from client B -> client A's original request fulfilled. So, by the time you've scheduled ten times, a perceptible amount of time has actually passed.
tl;dr: It doesn't.
How to clone and build Xorg
- See Peter's instructions at: Quickstart for those that do not use jhbuild
# Quickstart for those that do not use jhbuild: export PREFIX=/opt/xorg export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PREFIX/lib export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig export PATH=$PREFIX/bin:$PATH export ACLOCAL="aclocal -I $PREFIX/share/aclocal" git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/util/modular/ util/modular echo "util/macros" > built.modules ./util/modular/build.sh --clone -p -f built.modules -r `tail -n 1 built.modules` $PREFIX # Re-run the last command until a build succeeds.
How to use XRandR 1.2 (for Dual-Head etc)
- See the links on the XRandR Documentation page
How to set-up a multiseat configuration (aka zaphod mode)
- See the Multiseat page
Server doesn't start and generates an error message
Server generates warning messages
Server doesn't set the video mode I would like to use
Video Driver FAQ
- - Issues that may occur after updating.
- AdvancedTopicsFAQ - This is a collection of solutions to advanced setup and configration problems and customizations for special purposes.
For your convenience we collected some links to X related informations on OtherFAQs.