The X.Org Foundation Release Plan
Table of Contents
The X.Org Foundation is preparing a new release of the X Window System. This document covers the basic information about the release, including the new features, known bugs/issues, deadlines, success criteria, open questions and tasks. As new features are added or new information becomes available this page will be updated with the latest release information.
The bugzilla entry for this release is here.
The current status of this release is here.
Features already in CVS
The following features are already included in the X.Org CVS tree on Freedesktop.Org:
- Added OS dependent probing of IA64 chipsets
- Added GATOS I2C drivers
- Added multimedia support for Radeons
- Sync VIA driver with Unichrome
- Chips driver updates:
- i810 driver updates:
- MGA driver updates:
- Neomagic driver updates:
- Radeon driver updates:
- S3 driver updates:
- Savage driver updates:
- SiS driver updates:
Note: As updates are made to drivers, add them here to the list above and add driver names as necessary.
TBD: Feature Freeze
TBD: Code Freeze
Our goal is to have the next release no later than 6 months after the previous release. However, the release could happen sooner if there is a need.
- Build tested on target platforms
- Install tested on target platforms
- Run tested on target platforms
- Passed test suite on target platforms
- Passed !OpenGL/Mesa/Glean tests on target 3D platforms
- ATI and NVIDIA binary modules work with the release
Details to be worked out by release team.
- Who will be the release manager for the next release?
What should this release be called? X11R6.9, X11R7, ...
- What major features are desired for the next release?
- What is the timing of the next release?
- What support tools are needed for the next release?