Driver for NVIDIA based video chips. License: MIT
Please see http://people.freedesktop.org/~aplattner/nv for release information.
3D Acceleration Status
At present the nv driver has no 3D acceleration. Nvidia will not provide the hardware specifications needed to add 3D support. However, some reverse engineering has been done for the Riva, TNT, and Geforce hardware. The UtahGLX project has basic 3D acceleration support. Help is needed to port this to DRI. For details see the DRI Nvidia Page. A Freedesktop.org project called nouveau has been started to work on 3D support. See the project's Feature Matrix for current development status. For additional info on 3D acceleration support in general, see the free3d.org wiki.
Documentation and Support
- Please check the nv(4) manual page for the current release for configuration options.
- Check the Freedesktop.org Bugzilla for nv driver bugs.
- Nvidia Driver Internals Xdevconf presentation by Andy Ritger of Nvidia
- XFree86 nv driver nvidia driver CVS
- berliOS nvidia driver CVS
- nvidia forum - Official forum for Linux nvidia users
- nvidia website
- NVIDIAProprietaryDriver - X.Org Wiki page about nVidia's proprietary closed-source driver.
- Comparison of NVIDIA Graphics cards - Wikipedia page comparing NVIDIA hardware features
- NVIDIA and FOSS Wikipedia page on the friction between Nvidia and the Free/Open Source community due to their continued refusal to provide technical documentation on the hardware that would assist developers in writing drivers.