Drivers for VMware virtual graphics
The Xorg graphics driver for the VMware virtual graphics- and mouse devices consist of
- xf86-video-vmware - The video driver. Driver binary is vmware_drv.so. The version 12.0 contains support for accelerated OpenGL.
- xf86-input-vmmouse - The mouse driver. Driver binaries are vmmouse_drv.so and vmmouse_detect
- The kernel video driver - vmwgfx. This currently resides in kernel 3.2.0 and higher.
Don't miss our 3D page!
VMware currently maintain these drivers. The maintainer email is <linux-graphics-maintainer-at-vmware-dot-com>. Patches touching the driver should have an Acked-by: or Signed-off-by: from a maintainer, and new releases are cut by a maintainer only. Please send patches and release requests to the xorg-devel mailing list with a CC to the maintainer email.
- 2012-02-10 Zack Rusin has pushed a patch to mesa master which makes accelerated OpenVG run on vmwgfx EGL, in addition to the OpenGL and OpenGL-ES APIs (OpenVG requires the egl_gallium EGL driver, not the egl_dri2 EGL driver). This patch will be cherry-picked for mesa 8.0, but OpenVG and OpenGL-ES on vmwgfx is still experimental and not officialy supported.
- 2012-02-10 The kernel driver version 2.4.0 now contains support for fake page-flipping. This is to enable support for the Wayland demo compositor to run on vmwgfx EGL on the drm platform. I'ts called "fake" because currently it's implemented as a blit operation, and we don't yet support sync-to-vblank. The fake page-flipping support will probably enter linux 3.4.0, but anyone eager to try out can use the standalone vmwgfx kernel driver.
2012-02-07 Our enhanced drivers with RandR12+ and 3D support are now enabled by default in ubuntu 12.04 daily build isos.
- 2012-01-24 VMware Workstation 8.0.2 and VMware Player 4.0.2 have been released. These releases contain correctness- and performance fixes for Linux 3D.
- 2012-01-11 xf86-video-vmware 11.1.0 was released. This is a stable release.