Date is 2012-02-02, times are UTC+01.
23:01 * alanc isn't sure if we'll see the people who went to fosdem or not tonight 23:02 <+alanc> but hopefully we can wake up emmes, mherrb & stukreit 23:03 <egbert> stukreit sent an email just a while ago - i'm not sure if he intended to send it to me, though. 23:04 <egbert> i can ping emmes by phone. 23:04 <+alanc> he may have forgotten who is currently on the board vs. who used to be on the board 23:04 <+alanc> I can ping stukreit by walking down the hall, brb 23:04 <stukreit> egbert: I sent it individually to everyone on the board. Were you able to access the file? 23:04 <egbert> i should not show up here so often ;) 23:04 <+alanc> oh, never mind 23:05 <+alanc> stukreit: egbert hasn't been on the board for the past few years 23:05 <egbert> stukreit: i'm not on the board. 23:05 <stukreit> oh- sorry, I read too fast and shallow. it was your email that woke me up 23:06 <stukreit> the doc is only for board and attorney, but you won't find anything need-not-to-know in it 23:06 <+alanc> so we've got 4 board members here so far - given anholt & keithp are speaking at fosdem in a little over 24 hours, I'm not holding my breath for them to make it 23:07 <egbert> emmes will be in shortly. 23:07 <+emmes> sorry for the delay 23:08 <egbert> there he is :) 23:08 <+emmes> have a new smart phone, that isn't that... smart :-/ 23:08 <+alanc> so did everyone see egbert's mail about our XDC date choices? 23:09 <egbert> ok, stukreit saw my email, expect everyone else did, too? 23:09 <+Bart_Massey> not yet. sec 23:09 <+alanc> sent about 2.5 hrs ago 23:09 <+alanc> choices are: Sept 17-19 (Mo-We) or Sept 19-21 (We-Fr). 23:09 <egbert> we got things set up so we don't have to have the conf over a weekend. 23:10 <egbert> which as i learnd would generate extra hassle. 23:10 <stukreit> I can only attend 19->21'st 23:10 <egbert> i brought arguments for both dates. 23:11 <+Bart_Massey> I'd prefer 19-21, as I plan to stay if I go. 23:12 <stukreit> bart: if I were a language police I would beat you up for that;-) 23:12 <agd5f> mherrb: said he couldn't make it IIRC 23:12 <egbert> ok, when was that? 23:12 <agd5f> he replied to one of the board emails earlier this week 23:12 <+alanc> oh, that he couldn't make it today, right 23:13 <+Bart_Massey> stukreit: you wasnt are being language policer though 23:13 <+alanc> I'd forgotten about that 23:13 <egbert> he cannot attend on which days? 23:13 <agd5f> won't make it to this meeting 23:13 <+alanc> egbert: mherrb can't attend today 23:14 <egbert> ah, i thought he couldn't come during this week. 23:14 <egbert> sorry. 23:14 <egbert> he mentioned something last meeting. 23:15 <+alanc> from last meeting I see: <mherrb> I'd prefer 21-23. I have to be in Switerland 24-28. 23:15 <egbert> 24-28 that is for him 23:15 <egbert> right 23:15 <egbert> so he should be fine with either dates. 23:15 <+alanc> so far I see two preferences for 19-21 (We-Fr) 23:16 <egbert> ok, the argument against these days would be octoberfest. 23:16 <+alanc> I don't have a preference either way 23:16 <egbert> i talked to michael and he said it'd be hell going thru munich that day. 23:17 <egbert> so people should be told to try to get flights thru franfurt. 23:17 <+emmes> so people should try to fly in over frankfurt, I guess 23:17 <+emmes> lol 23:17 <egbert> or fly into nuernberg. 23:17 <+alanc> 19-21 overlaps SuSEcon - there's no problems for you with that? 23:17 <egbert> flying into and out of nuernberg would be much less hassle anyway. 23:18 <+Bart_Massey> are any hotels going to be available anytime that week for folks who don't book right away? 23:18 <egbert> no, it doesn't look like it will be. 23:18 <+Bart_Massey> it sounds like the city pretty much fills up around then 23:18 <egbert> yes, it is the one week in september without any hotel constraints. 23:18 <egbert> until monday the following week. 23:19 <+Bart_Massey> ok... 23:19 <agd5f> would august be better? it's usually a pretty slow month, although maybe a lot of vacations then 23:20 <egbert> that's exactly the problem, plus there's plumbers i believe 23:20 <+alanc> looks like it's a couple hours from nuremburg to munich, so hopefully oktoberfest hotels don't fill up that far away 23:20 <egbert> apart from this august would be perfect roomwise and hotel wise, also weatherwise 23:20 <egbert> no, octoberfest won't fill hotels in nuernberg. 23:20 <egbert> just trains. 23:20 <+Bart_Massey> ok 23:21 <egbert> one main train route from the north goes thru nuernberg. 23:21 <egbert> so when i go during octberfest i make sure i have a seat reserved on the train 23:21 <+emmes> alanc: it's actually only about 1 hour. the train is pretty fast. still, nuernberg is considered a completely different region than munich. 23:22 <+emmes> this is not the US ;-) 23:22 <+alanc> emmes: ah, google maps defaulted to driving directions, not train 23:22 <+Bart_Massey> just got an email saying anongit.freedesktop.org is down. 23:22 <egbert> ok, you guys come up with a date. you don't have to decide today either. 23:22 <+Bart_Massey> sigh. the minute keithp leaves town... 23:22 <stukreit> is this a big deal, like "you can't get a seat", or is it just a convenience factor like "gee this train is really crowded" 23:22 <+Bart_Massey> and also anholt... 23:22 <+alanc> Bart_Massey: yes, has been for over a day know 23:22 <+emmes> by car it's less than 1 1/2 h - if you drive reaonably fast, that is :-P 23:23 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: whats' the plan for fixing it? 23:23 <+alanc> between FOSDEM & Tollef's vacation, no one can find an admin 23:23 <egbert> it is from really crowded that you will have to stand in the isle 23:23 <+alanc> Bart_Massey: sit around and whine until admins show up 23:23 <jcristau> Bart_Massey: finding an admin is the first step, we haven't gotten past that. 23:23 <+Bart_Massey> I have physical access to the box. You can always call my cell 503 705 2474 when stuff like this happens... 23:24 <+alanc> I mailed sitewrangler's yesterday, though got caught in the moderation queue for not being subscribed 23:24 <egbert> stukreit: but there's always the option to fly into nuernberg which is much less hassle regardless of octoverfest. 23:24 * Bart_Massey notes that he is in country code +1. usa! 23:25 <+Bart_Massey> Well, it sounds like 19-21 is the default, but let's someone post it on the board list and wait a day or two for emails before fixing it 23:25 <+alanc> Bart_Massey: if you can lay hands on the box and heal it, many people will praise you - but I don't know if physical access is enough, or root access will be needed 23:25 <egbert> ok, fair enough. 23:25 <+Bart_Massey> alanc: i'm guessing one will more-or-less imply the other. :-) 23:26 <+alanc> most of the people with root access seem to be thousands of miles away, limiting physical access 23:26 <+Bart_Massey> anybody remember offhand which box anongit is sitting on? 23:26 <egbert> ok, i will be off. when you have reached consensus please drop me an email. 23:26 <egbert> good night! ;) 23:26 <jcristau> Bart_Massey: molly 23:26 <+Bart_Massey> thanks egbert! 23:26 <+emmes> egbert: ok, thank you! 23:26 <+Bart_Massey> jcristau: thanks 23:26 <stukreit> thanks egbert! 23:27 <+Bart_Massey> i'll call our admins after the meeting and have them look at it, then run down there if it's going to be helpful 23:27 <jcristau> thanks 23:28 <+alanc> okay, in other business, just a quick note that the election calendar is posted at http://www.x.org/wiki/BoardOfDirectors/Elections/2012 and the call for nominations has been sent out 23:28 <+Bart_Massey> thanks alanc 23:29 <+alanc> agd5f, keithp, mherrb and emmes are the members whose terms are running out, and are thus eligible to be nominated for another term 23:30 <+alanc> and of course, any other X.Org member is eligible to nominate or be nominated, though we can't elect any more Oracle employees, and only one Intel employee can be elected this time 23:31 <+alanc> stukreit: did you want to say anything about the 501(c)3 stuff other than that people should read the draft response you mailed out today? 23:32 <stukreit> yes, thanks to all for providing Aaron with input. His submission is very well fleshed out 23:32 <+alanc> and agd5f wanted to ask about VESA stuff 23:32 <agd5f> yeah 23:32 <stukreit> Aaron and Justin did inform me/us that granting of 501(c)3 status has become difficult of late and we should be prepared for alternative filing 23:32 <+alanc> that's all I remember for today's agenda 23:32 <stukreit> wait 23:32 <+Bart_Massey> AFAIK, we are no longer a member of VESA 23:33 <stukreit> which would be the .4 version. 23:33 <+Bart_Massey> I don't remember where the documents from when we were are stored, but they're online someplace 23:33 <+alanc> stukreit: alternative would be we're a non-profit, but not a charity, so people don't get tax deductions for giving us money, right? 23:33 <stukreit> Difference is mainly that contributions to us would not be tax deductable to the donors. Not that previous donors have noticed or inquired about that. 23:34 <+alanc> though keithp did note that helped freedesktop get some donations 23:34 <+Bart_Massey> The fallback plan if it looks like we'll be denied is likely to be to apply to SPI 23:34 <stukreit> right. And we're a few years away from really needing money to continue our current level of operations, although imo we should try to get some whenever possible 23:34 <+Bart_Massey> Aaron says that if we get the timing right, that could work 23:35 <+Bart_Massey> My goal was always to spend us down to $50-$100K before we started to start to set up a funding plan. 23:35 <stukreit> There was an intel donation 2 years ago, we never got it completed, darnit. I could not get attention from the Intel person to chase it down. 23:35 <stukreit> well, we're under $100k now. 23:35 <+Bart_Massey> Where are we? 23:35 <stukreit> (roughly) I haven't looked at the statements in a while 23:35 <stukreit> but we were just over $100k in the summer. 23:36 <+Bart_Massey> Last I looked, we were still at $120K or so. 23:36 <+Bart_Massey> Oh. 23:36 <+Bart_Massey> OK, then it's probably time to start thinking about it. 23:36 <stukreit> Guess I better dig out the statement. would require me to remember id/passwd for yet another account. 23:36 <+Bart_Massey> LOL. Thanks much for dealing with this. 23:36 <stukreit> sure thing 23:37 <+alanc> did we actually get the Google SoC payment straightened out? though that was only a thousand or two I think 23:37 <stukreit> I paid the 1st installment, I need to pay him the 2nd 23:37 <stukreit> make that an AI for me 23:37 <stukreit> (ie, you're free to harangue me, I am always distracted) 23:38 <agd5f> so, is there interest in rejoining vesa? Who managed that last time? anyone know where to docs are? are we allowed to distribute what we currently have to xorg members if we aren't currently a vesa member? 23:38 <+alanc> stukreit: oh you're talking about EVoC, I was thinking of the money google was trying to pay us for GSoC 23:38 <+Bart_Massey> I dealt with it last time. I think we can let members have access to what we have. 23:38 <+alanc> also, you should be paying him for his FOSDEM trip 23:39 <+Bart_Massey> Yeah, the GSoC money comes real close to covering our annual expenses. 23:39 <stukreit> he will send his expenses next week, I ssume 23:39 <marcheu> alanc: I receivedd an email saying the SoC money transfer had been done. I don't have access to the bank statements so I can't say for sure though 23:39 <+alanc> we spend a bit more on travel sponsorship lately than gsoc money covers 23:40 <marcheu> that was a while ago, I could dig it out if you want 23:40 <+Bart_Massey> I don't think there's any deep reason to rejoin VESA. AFAIK there's no new docs that are desperately needed, and it's expensive 23:40 <agd5f> Bart_Massey: do you know where the current vesa docs are? there are some members that were inquiring about them 23:40 <+alanc> marcheu: thanks, hopefully stukreit can confirm in the bank statements 23:40 <+Bart_Massey> I do not. Keithp likely would. 23:40 <stukreit> or ajax 23:40 <+alanc> I think ajax was in charge of them at one point 23:40 <+Bart_Massey> Even more likely ajax 23:40 <+Bart_Massey> yes. 23:41 <agd5f> I don't think ajax knew last time I asked him 23:41 <+Bart_Massey> I might still have dead trees in my office somewhere, but I think I threw them out on the advice of keithp. 23:41 <+Bart_Massey> They were huge. 23:41 <agd5f> I've got digital copies 23:41 <marcheu> alanc: I did transfer him that email 23:42 <agd5f> I can re-upload them somewhere if no one knows where the originals are 23:44 <+Bart_Massey> agd5f: might as well. only thing you need to do is be sure to put them somewhere that only members can access 23:44 <+Bart_Massey> if you find such a place, they may already be there :-) 23:44 <+Bart_Massey> it's also possible that they're somewhere on anongit.fdo :-) 23:44 <+Bart_Massey> I have some staff poking at the box now. 23:45 <+alanc> members.x.org is the only site I know of that all members and only members can access 23:45 <agd5f> can we put them on members.x.org somewhere and add a link to home page when you log in? 23:45 <+alanc> probably, the same way the old minutes are 23:45 <+alanc> but I don't know how, I think anholt did those 23:46 <agd5f> does anyone have shell access to members.x.org? 23:46 <+Bart_Massey> let me check 23:46 <+alanc> https://members.x.org/docs/ in fact seems like it could have a VESA directory created 23:46 <+Bart_Massey> Yes 23:47 <+alanc> isn't members just a virtual host on expo? 23:47 <+Bart_Massey> yes 23:47 <+alanc> all board members should have expo access, though we've failed at actually setting that up for several 23:47 <+Bart_Massey> yes 23:47 <jcristau> members.x.org/docs/ doesn't look restricted 23:47 <+alanc> just like stukreit still can't see the election committee wiki 23:48 <+alanc> oh, if it's not restricted then maybe not then 23:48 <+Bart_Massey> It would be easy enough to stick a .htaccess there, no? 23:48 <+Bart_Massey> I dunno. the web. all after my time. :-) 23:49 <jcristau> /minutes presumably has one, so, yes. 23:49 <+alanc> yeah, but we use 1995-era web technology on that site 23:49 <agd5f> http://xkcd.com/949/ 23:49 <+Bart_Massey> still after my time. :-) 23:49 <+Bart_Massey> even gopher is after my time. 23:50 <+Bart_Massey> in my time you had to get a license from the phone company to hook up a 300-baud modem 23:50 <agd5f> it would be nice if we could tie the authentication into the members user database 23:51 <+Bart_Massey> just a sec... 23:52 <+alanc> yep, something we can research offline with people who actually know how that site is setup 23:52 <agd5f> heh, I'm not sure anyone actually knows ;) 23:52 <+Bart_Massey> it's actually just in the apache2 config 23:53 <+Bart_Massey> oops 23:53 <+Bart_Massey> the directories /bod and /minutes are protected 23:55 <+Bart_Massey> Someone needs to expurgate the old minutes so we can open them 23:55 * Bart_Massey notes that starting a sentence with /bod doesn't do what he expected 23:56 * alanc delegates the task of publishing old minutes to the next secretary 23:57 <agd5f> I guess we could handle vesa like minutes. provide the link and login/pass in index.php 23:57 <+Bart_Massey> lol. looks like the member passwords are kept in a mysql database and thus can't be used with the php 23:57 <+Bart_Massey> agd5f: this seems like the best plan 23:57 <+Bart_Massey> someone can easily set up the basic-auth for a vesa directory 23:58 * Bart_Massey substitutes s/php/apache/ 23:59 <+alanc> so as our hour runs out, anything more to discuss today? --- Day changed Fri Feb 03 2012 00:00 <+Bart_Massey> Move to adjourn. 00:00 <+alanc> +1 00:00 <stukreit> +1 00:01 <+emmes> +1