X.org Foundation Duties

This page lists duties of the foundation/board and what not to forget on transitions:

Board Member (SPI) / Administrative Member (SFC)

Secretary (SPI) / Authorized Representative (SFC)

  • Ask fd.o admins to update secretary@x.org alias by filing an issue in the fdo gitlab.

  • Make sure the secretary has member admin rights.

  • Send mail to SPI board to inform them of the change (board at spi-inc dot org).

  • Subscribe to http://lists.spi-inc.org/listinfo/spi-general

  • Script to run meetings in bod.git/scripts/xorg-bod.

  • Prepares agenda, nags people for update on the things they promised to do, writes meeting minutes.

  • Yearly presentation/write-up for the secretary report.

Treasurer (SPI) / Financial Liason (SFC)

  • Ask fd.o admins to update the treasurer@x.org alias by filing an issue in the fdo gitlab.

  • Send mail to SPI board to inform them of the change (board at spi-inc dot org) (TODO: Update this post-SFC).

  • Picks up the official ledger from SPI for the yearly report. (TODO: Work out with SFC how they report financial to us) Foundation does not longer maintain it's own books directly.

  • Tracks reimbursements and invoices being handled by the SPI treasurer. Send mails to treasurer at rt.spi-inc.org for each new request. Since we tend to send similar requests repeatedly, we track form emails in git. (TODO: Work out process with SFC)

  • Writes yearly treasurer report. Here is a sample. Send a draft to board@foundation.x.org, then when it's acked by a quorum send the final version to members@x.org, board@foundation.x.org, and treasurer@x.org.


ATM Ricardo Garcia mainly

Social Media

  • Twitter: Currently inactive. Account credentials in the board archive repo.
  • Mastodon: Account credentials in the board archive repo. Currently managed by Alyssa.

GSoC Administrator

ATM Trevor Woerner

  • Apply every year to the GSoC, to get accepted as an organisation

  • Inform potential mentors and students when/if we get accepted

  • Make sure enough projects are proposed to students

  • Check the student proposals, and instruct/help students to look for mentors. Make sure they fulfil all requirements (including the open source experience)

  • Request slots from Google, and assign them to the students, in priority order

  • Get the students' blog to fd.o planet

  • Write a blog post about the accepted projects, with links to their blog

  • Write weekly posts on G+ to talk about the students' work

  • Ask mentors and students how they feel about their work

  • Write a final blog post about the year

EVoC Coordinator

ATM Trevor Woerner

See XorgEVoC for details and policies.

XDC Sponsor Coordinator

ATM Daniel Vetter

  • Start nagging sponsors for the next XDC right after the last one finished. Sponsors are tracked in gitlab issues. See SponsorshipLevels for policies.

XDC Organizer Coordinator

ATM Ricardo Garcia

  • Create an Indico event and fill it with basic content: registration form, CfP form, CoC, location, etc. Copy them from past years. Coordinate with organizers the writing of the rest of the content.

  • Send out RFP a few months ahead of this years XDC, so we can hopefully announce next year's organizer at XDC. See RFP for lots of details.

  • Coordinate with organizers the work required to have the conference and monitor its progress: venue, multimedia setup, streaming & recording talks, network, marketing materials, etc.

  • Share our twitter/youtube account details to organizers.

  • Be sure we don't miss any step or deadline: XDC-N CfP announcement (usually about April/May), schedule announcement (usually one month before the conference), XDC-N+1 hosting RFP announcement (usually together with XDC-N CfP announcement) and any other relevant announcement.

  • Solve any doubt the organizers might have, either directly or forwarding it to the board.

XDC Paper Committee Chair

ATM Ricardo Garcia

  • Make sure you have a good committee (both board and organizers, wide representation if possible of all parts of the graphics stack).

  • Make sure you know how much time/slots we have to not overfill the schedule.

  • Committee instructions before they go and make up their minds matter! If you have too many talks, you need to tell people how many they need to reject/accept/maybe to be able to roughly hit the quota of slots we have. Otherwise they accept everything.

  • Make sure everyone is added to Indico as reviewer (note that normal reviewers can only review, not judge talks). Currently set up that review is a -1/0/+1 plus comments.

  • Figure out some process to filter out talks: Clear accepts/rejects go out first, then lots of haggling about the remaining ones.

  • Solicit workshops as seems useful to complement the program of talks. Don't forget the board meeting.

  • Build program in advance, check the available slots just in case you need to ask for more talks. For lighting talks this needs to be done by organizers at the conference as they can be submitted during the conference itself.

  • Ask for talk confirmations to submitters. Every year we have one or two talks cancelled that need to be replaced by another one in the queue list.

  • After conference ask attendees for feedback. Put any lessons learned into PapersCommittee

  • Aim for one week for the initial voting, then two weeks for haggling and figuring out the maybe talks. Another week for discussing the final program.

  • Indico can send message to submitters aside from accept/reject notices (go to "Participations Role" in the management area), but it is probably better to handle travel requests by normal email. Regularly check for new submissions with travel requests, forward those as mail to board@ and the requester (you can get their mail by editing the proposal, then edit the author list), and sanity check them (and ask submitters to improve). Also make sure the board actually approves them in a timely manner.

  • Remember that if people send emails to board@, they will very likely to fall in the moderation queue of the mailing list. Review often that queue.